Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if I need to change my modem/router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tlhfirelion

tlhfirelion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hello. I am writing to see if I can obtain advice on what to do about our modem/router situation. We have a modem/router from our service provider, a Westell 7500. I'm told it's a dualband type N modem/router by the ISP. Now I'm not a computer guru, but I can tell when something isnt right. lol We have been through 3 of these modems from Westell over the past 3 years,and they keep crapping out for no reason. It will start to need resetting more frequently after a frozen connection and then die. I'm considering getting my own modem/router from Netgear, Belkin, Cisco, etc. Where we live we are getting the fastest speed we can, 10 megs. We use wifi for our tablets, laptop and appletv. I know one can spend a lot of money on a router/modem, so am I wasting my time upgrading? Will I notice any improvements by going out on my own equipment wise? The reps from cenurylink are sure convincing about the horrors that await me by not using their equipment. Apparently I will be alone, in the dark and shivering cold. lol. If I will notice any improved performanc or connection reliability, what brands/model number would I best be served looking at? I would prefer not to cross the $100 mark.

Thank you for any help you are able to provide and have a Happy New Year!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Linksys E2500 is my recommendation as far as "budget" routers go. Price around $80. You should check your devices and make sure they are 802.11n compliant. If they aren't (they use 802.11b/g) you might want to find a full 802.11b/g/n router. It is dual band 300Mbps, so you shouldn't have any issues with connectivity.

Most companies aren't going to spend the extra dollar to give you a tip-top connection. More so, they definitely won't support any hardware you purchase that isn't theirs. Definitely an at your own risk kind of thing, do plenty of google searching and asking around before you make any decisions.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 tlhfirelion

tlhfirelion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Linksys E2500 is my recommendation as far as "budget" routers go. Price around $80. You should check your devices and make sure they are 802.11n compliant. If they aren't (they use 802.11b/g) you might want to find a full 802.11b/g/n router. It is dual band 300Mbps, so you shouldn't have any issues with connectivity.

Most companies aren't going to spend the extra dollar to give you a tip-top connection. More so, they definitely won't support any hardware you purchase that isn't theirs. Definitely an at your own risk kind of thing, do plenty of google searching and asking around before you make any decisions.

Thank you for the quick reply. Silly question, how do I check items to see if they are 802.11N compliant or not?

The company told me if I go with my own router, they'll deal with anything up to the DLS connection of my house, after thats it's all on me. It seems hard to find anything to be concerned about. I won't be messing with any wiring so the only thing I would be dealing with is a bad router/modem in the future, like I've already done with them 3 times. I can also post up any problems I have on here. ;-) Am I making a bigger deal out of this then I need to be?

Thanks again for the help, I wll look into the router suggestions you made above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users