Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware suspicion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pajasas

pajasas

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hello,

as I've posted at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic479666.html , I'he got two compters infected with malware and it's possible that my phone have caught it too. It was connected to an infected computer with USB debugging on. It did show the same trouble when accessing the malwarebytes.com site. I've since performed factory reset yesterday and memory card wipe, haven't yet connected it (and not planning to) to any infected computer. I've downloaded AVG both before and after the wipe (however after the infection), both times it crashed after few minutes, when it first ran. The it and some other app did crash today, but i haven't rebooted it since reset. Am I overly paranoid, or is there any way to tell what's happenig/how to be sure it's clean? The phone is not rooted.

Have a nice day, thanks for reply in advance

Pajasas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

There's more to read there than I care to bother with.

If it's a Windows virus, it's not going to hurt your phone. If it's a cross-platform virus, maybe it will and maybe not. Few, if there are any, cross-platform malware instances covered both Windows and Android.

It's possible you picked something up that spread from a running Windows machine (without harming it) that was there simply to infect a running Android device should one ever get hooked to it. But "possible" doesn't equate to "likely." That scenario is far too iffy, and leaves the strong possibility of being detected, reported and fixed long before many devices could be hit. After all, a process running on Windows to do that would also be malware for Windows on its own, even if it didn't adversely affect the Windows machine.

Most (maybe all) Android infections have come through someone installing apps. The majority have come through the App Store. But those also get deleted and removed from consumer devices pretty quickly after being discovered (typically 15 minutes from detection to removal from all devices that are turned on and have it installed, with those unreachable being fixed once they're in range). But it's possible to deliberately allow files to be installed from other sources. Usually that's safe, but sometimes not.

My gut tells me your phone is safe. Android doesn't run Windows executables and vice versa.

My mind tells me Windows will never be safe, especially running the so-called "security essentials" from Microsoft. But I guess you can keep cleaning it up after the fact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users