Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Cable Tuner

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hello I'm wondering if a device exists to plug into an RF cable (for cable TV) and pipe that into a computer either wirelessly or via a USB cable. I'd actually prefer to have built an HTPC but as it happened it's no longer possible. So I'm looking at a way to hook up a laptop to the TV and get internet streaming content as well as cable TV to the display as seamlessly as possible.

If there's some way to control this with a Samsung Blu-ray remote that would be even better.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hello, welcome to Bleeping Computer and Happy New Year.

I have a few suggestions for you to look at. The price will be higher with the more features the USB device has.

The Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Below can allow the watching of ONE channel WHILE recording a SECOND one, which includes channels such as subscription services such as HBO, SHOWTIME, THE MOVIE CHANNEL ETC.

The link below will answer all your hardware related questions and what features it has.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dcr2650.html

If that device is not to your liking, Hauppauge has other devices in different price ranges, this is a link to their home page. http://www.hauppauge.com/

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi

Just a side note, you'll need a CableCard for that from your cable company. I don't use that tuner but something similar. I think I pay like $3 a month for the CableCard in my setup and have never had a problem.

James

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

That hardware looks exactly like what I want. I'm currently looking at options for Logitech remotes in order to try and streamline the control side of things.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Fantastic!

I am interested in knowing how this device worked out for you if you do decide to purchase it.

If you are curious if your computer will work well with this device, the top link I provided you with, has a link at the bottom of that page where you can run a Digital Cable Advisor program. This way you know before you buy it that it will work well with your system.

I personally think that service is decent customer support. :thumbup2:

Looking forward to reading about your experience with this device.

As James has stated, you'll need a cable card from your cable company for HBO etc. to be viewable/record-able, I suggest you contact your cable company first to verify that a cable card is all that is needed to watch those services and that they assign such cards to customers.

It does state that "On Demand services will not work with this device, however, if you have an addressable cable box, you can connect this device to the USB port on your cable box. I am not sure about using the HDMI port though, some cable boxes have an HDMI output port, I do not have cable, so I can not confirm this, but it is a possible option you can try.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users