Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running very very slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 sariki

sariki

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hello,

Well the computer I am working on is incredibly slow. It takes a crazy amount of time to load up the just basic of things. I have ran a few removal tools myself to see if these were the issue (I was in boot camp but wasn't able to finish hence why i used these tools) this has been going on I would say for about two months now. Earlier in the day the computer wouldn't boot to the progress bar in xp. I could select to boot into safe etc. But after doing so the computer would just shut down. I let the computer cool down enabled boot logging and the computer booted up fine after that. I don't think it's a problem with the BCD. I do honestly think it's a virus or malware of some kind I just want to make sure that it's a software problem no a hardware problem first.
My logs are below and thank you for your time ^_^

Sariki

Attached Files

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hello sariki, and welcome to the Malware Response forum! :thumbsup:

My name is bloopie and I'll be helping you with your problems as best I can! :thumbup2:

A few things to keep in mind while we are working together:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate it if you let me know.
  • If you are unsure about any of the steps just post what you can and I will guide you!
  • Please tell me if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Please copy and paste all logs here unless otherwise instructed!
  • Upon completing the steps below I will review your topic an do my best to resolve your issues.

==========

I need to first ask you if this machine is a laptop that could be prone to overheating? That could cause the system to crash as well as run slowly.

Another thing: You have two Antivirus Programs running simultaneously...could be another cause for the system to be slow. Please follow this next instruction:

I do not recommend that you have more than one anti-virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti-virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Therefore please go to add/remove in the control panel and remove either AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials. My suggestion would be to uninstall AVG and leave MSE.

==========

It also looks like you've run Combofix on this machine...please look for the log it makes at C:\Combofix.txt and paste it's contents into your next reply.

==========

I'd like you to run these tools for me next:

Step :step1:

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

Posted Image
  • Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

Posted Image
  • Click the Start Scan button.

Posted Image
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

Posted Image
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

Posted Image
  • Note*** If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste its contents in your next reply.

==========

Step :step2:

Run RogueKiller

Download RogueKiller from here or here and save it to your desktop.

• Close all programs and disconnect any USB or external drives before running the tool.
  • Right-click RogueKiller.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Once the Prescan has finished, click Scan.
  • Once the Status box shows "Scan Finished", click Delete.
  • When the Status box shows "Deleting Finished", click Report and then copy and paste the log in your next reply.
  • The log can also be found at RKreport[1].txt on your desktop.

==========

In your next reply, please include the following:

• The Combofix log
  • The TDSSKiller log
  • The RogueKiller log
bloopie

#3 sariki

sariki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

The Computer is not prone to over heating. It is propped up so the fan has air to circulate. It's just a older computer. The logs are below

Attached Files

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi again,

Have you uninstalled AVG as I suggested? There isn't much malware happening from the logs you've posted, but there is a hidden process that CF had seen. We will deal with that later as it's running from a temp folder.

Let's see if we can purge anything else:

***Note:

Please copy and paste all logs here unless otherwise instructed!

Attached logs are harder to read, and more work for me to download and analyze.

==========

Step :step1:

Please update MBAM and run a quick scan...post me the results.

==========

Step :step2:

ESET Online Scanner:

***Note: This scan may take some time, please be patient!

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista/Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

• Please go here to run the scan.

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
    All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

==========

In your next reply, please include the following:

• The MBAM log
  • The ESET log
  • Let me know how the machine is running now!
bloopie

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hello again,

Are you still with me? :)

This is a 4-Day Bump! If you still wish to receive help please follow the instructions in my last post.

If you do not respond in another 24-48 hours, I will be forced to close this topic!

bloopie

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users