Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Barracuda HDD Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBobberson

BillyBobberson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi, all. I'm new here.

I bought an internal 1 TB (allegedly) Seagate Barracuda hard drive recently, but am using it externally through an internal hard drive dock connecting through USB. For some reason it decides it doesn't want to work for me. I connect it like I do with other hard drives, and it installs, but I received a message saying there was a problem with it installing... So I went to device manager, uninstalled it, rebooted, then tried again. It looks like it worked this time - there wasn't any error message, but the problem is both this time and the first time I tried, it didn't show up in My Computer. Clicking safely remove hardware, shows "safely remove USB mass storage device", but it didn't show the drive letter like my other drives did, and again it doesn't show it in My Computer like my other drives did.

Both the drives are Seagate Barracuda, the problematic one says 7200.11; the other doesn't say anything like that, so I assumed this hard drive could be quicker than my other one, so that could be why it's not working because there might not be enough power going to it, even though I have a plug-in USB hub it connects through.

Continuing to look on the drive, it says, "Certified Repaired HDD" and the label has a green border... Now I'm thinking I wasn't sold a brand new drive, and that's why it's faulty.

Perhaps anyone could help me with this, if there's anything anyone can think of, before I decide to take the drive back for an exchange?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

"Certified Repaired" would make me a bit weary. Power consumption would definitely be a problem if that port doesn't have an AC adapter.

If you are using a laptop, the second (problematic) hard drive is probably faster - most laptops utilize a 5400RPM HDD to reduce power consumption. If you are on a desktop, chances are they both have the same speeds.

Anyway...

Open command prompt (start -> cmd.exe)
Type:

diskpart <enter>
list disk <enter> <--Look for the hard drive to be listed here
list volume <enter> <--Look for the volume of the hard drive to be listed here

Basically this is just a quick checking to see if Windows is recognizing the hard drive at all.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

You probably need to follow this Bleeping Computer tutorial.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/partition-and-format-a-disk-in-windows/

In order to use a hard drive, or a portion of a hard drive, in Windows you need to first partition it and then format it. This process will then assign a drive letter to the partition allowing you to access it in order to use it to store and retrieve data.

You need to do this with any new or refurbished hard dive or it will not show up in my computer. This also applies to one that has been secure wiped.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 BillyBobberson

BillyBobberson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Oh, sorry I forgot to say I'm on a desktop.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 932 GB 0 B
Disk 1 Online 932 GB 932 GB

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 D DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 1 H DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 932 GB Healthy System

I think Disk 0 must be the new one, and I thought I could connect the hard drive then format it in this way I'm trying... It's been so long since I last did it I forgot. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

Edited by BillyBobberson, 02 January 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yep, looks like a format will do the trick
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Be very careful with Diskpart, it can be dangerous as I remember it.

From here

Clean the drive with Windows Diskpart Command-Line Utility
Now to use DISKPART. Warning:
Be careful not to select your system drive or other working drive as you
could erase the data and your current Windows system!

The danger comes if you are not sure which drive you are using it on.
In the case of BillyBobberson I would first run it without the external drive hooked up and make a note of what show up, then Hook up the drive an observe the difference.

However disk management is safer to use.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks rotor.

I should specify, on this forum I utilize diskpart commands for information gathering only. As rotor said, it can be a dangerous tool if you aren't extremely attentive.

Don't attempt the format at the command line, go to Computer and right-click the drive, select format. You can then follow the prompts to format the drive with the same functionality as the diskpart utility.

I <3 Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users