Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Has Stopped Responding...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cryptvill

Cryptvill

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

This problem has been going on for about four months now. My computer specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64 Bit.
Nvidia GForce GTX 460 graphics card
6 GB of Ram
500 GB hard drive with 411 GB free

The problem is: At random times (most often when adobe flash player runs through youtube or a website with a lot of applications like Facebook) the computer screen will freeze for 2 seconds, turn black, and then come back online and a message will pop up saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has now recovered." The bigger problem is, every now and then it does not come back and I have to forcefully restart, losing any unsaved work.

This problem seems to be unsolved on the internet:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/378115-33-display-driver-stopped-responding-recovered
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx
http://communities.intel.com/thread/32928

Microsoft offers a fix-it-for-me tool, that I have ran multiple times, and nothing has come out of it.

My hypothesis:

This is not a problem of the graphics card, this is three possiblities:

1) Motherboard - if this is the case, then I am not going to be happy. There's not much I can do about this.
2) Virus - A simple reformat should do the trick
3) Operating system - All these problems seem to happen on windows 7, maybe I should jump ship to a different operating system.

My question to YOU is: IS my hypothesis correct? IF so, should I reformat my comp with windows 7 in hopes that all problems will be gone, OR should I switch to a different operating system? Which would be better? And do you have any help in this situation?

Thank you for looking and responding to my topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

My lappy (NVidia 540M) did the exact same thing. Eventually updating the drivers (or reverting) the drivers resolved the problem.

Update flash first, then NVidia drivers and go from there.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I ran into the same issues with my Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP graphics drivers.

Seemed like the newer drivers were a nightmare and it happened more often.

The issue is most common on both Windows Vista and Windows 7 32 Bit and 64 Bit OS.

I don't seem to have issues with Windows XP SP3 Machines FWIW.

This MSDN article explains why this happens with the

Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

A possible FIX may involve editing the windows registry.

As a Staff member of BC it is only fitting to post this link as a warning:

WARNING:
(The information provided above, requires a registry edit. (The recommended program, will make changes to the registry.)
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article, before proceeding.)

Bruce.

Edit: Added more information.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 January 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users