Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB question regarding Andriod phones

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

somewhere long ago I read an Article on what devices need to be safely ejected before removing them from the USB port... flash drives were always a "yes", microphones weren't necessary... Mp3 players it said it depends... most top of the line mp3 players were not necessary... I cannot find that article and I don't recall a mention of Andriod phones or any phone...

so, does my andriod phone need to be safely ejected before unplugging??

I have a Droid Razr...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi

My personal rule of thumb is that anything that mounts a file system should use 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' before disconnecting them. That would include your Droid.

This makes sure that no operations are being performed on the file system when it is disconnected which could cause corruption if interrupted.

James

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

The next time I use "safely remove" for any device other than a hard drive will be the first time. While there's never any harm in using "safely remove" (and certainly you can't go wrong by doing so), there's rarely a reason to if no read/write activity is taking place.

#4 BaddJone

BaddJone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Your card can get corrupted on not being safely removed. Make sure you eject them or change the connection mode on the phone to 'charging only'.

It's a precaution. Not following it wont cause any concern either.

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

1 out of every 10 or so times I've disconnected my phones without ejecting first I get lost files or some corruption.

0 out of every time I eject my phones I get lost files and corruption.

Different phones, different cards, even different OSes...doesn't matter.

You SHOULD always eject or safely remove your device. You don't always NEED to.

I no longer take the chance and no longer suffer data loss like photos or files I was saving.

Just my .02 cents.

#6 kingen501

kingen501

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Always eject and also use cord that came with your phone. I messed up my Samsung by doing that. Pretty tough to load roms by swithing sd cards in and out.

#7 PS4AndroidHacker

PS4AndroidHacker

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

There's actually a setting in Windows for USB performance/speed or better read/write capability or something of that nature. I rarely eject mine and have NEVER lost a file or any particular information. It's mainly all about the settings in Windows on your PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users