Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphic card help-

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 agosden

agosden

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hello there- I was unsure if I should put this in here or under the gaming forum, but hopefully I can get some assistance. I mainly use my computer to play World of Warcraft- and have been having some significant problems with the screen being jumpy- slow to load ect.. It was recommended that I do some upgrades- I went from 4 gb to 8 gb of ram, and installed a new graphics card. The graphics card was a significant upgrade and the new card is the EVGA 650ti 1gb.

I am noticing VERY little to NO difference in gameplay with these two upgrades- although a friend did the exact upgrades and is getting much better results. I am getting around 20 frames per second in the game while he is running around 100 fps.

Am I missing something that could be allowing my upgrades to perform to full capacity? I can provide further details of what else I am running if needed.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2013 - 08:29 AM.
Moved from XP to Gaming - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hello agosden;

Certainly should be getting better fps. We would need to know more about your system. If store bought can just give make and model number. Custom, would need mother board, cpu, power supply., memory, operating system(32bit or 64).

#3 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thank you for your response. It is custom built, however I did not build it, so I hope you can be patient while I try to determine everything you need-

Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Power supply is Modxtreme pro 500 watt
cpu is AMD phenom 8400 triple core 2100 mhz
Memory is crucial 8 gig ddr2 (2gb X4)
motherboard hp pavillion model kj378AA-aba a6430F

Is this what you are looking for?

Thank you again

#4 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Anyone have any thoughts?

#5 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

System specs seem alright. Did WoW run fine before and then slowly get worse? Did you turn off onboard video in BIOS when you installed new card? Did WoW run fine before? How full is your hard drive? Open task manager, how many programs are running and what is your CPU usage? Also what video setting are using in wow? Playing on the highest setting?

Edited by Jelerak, 01 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#6 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Wow has always run between 7-20 fps dropping to 1-3 fps in raids and freezing at times- Thus the reason I bought these upgrades. Now, with these new upgrades, I am seeing no difference whatsoever. I have it set to low, because that is the only way I can even play. I tried it at high as soon as I installed the new card, and was getting something like 10 fps, while my friend who bought the card at the same and installed, is getting over 100 fps. I really do not see any difference in FPS when I change from low to high (or vice versa) settings in wow.

I did not turn off anything in BIOS when I installed the new card. (not sure how to do that, sorry, novice here)

I have two hard drives- my C drive which is what my system runs off is 69.5 gb free of 177 gb and my G drive which is where WOW is installed is 236 gb free of 297 gb.

I opened my task manager and it says 52 processes running with two programs open (firefox and wow) CPU usage bounces from 0% to about 33%

Thank you again so much, this is really driving me crazy that I cant figure out what the problem is.

#7 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Update- I went into BIOS and found the options for the graphics card- I have onboard, PCI, PCI 1 or PCI 16. PCI was marked- I changed it to PCI 16, but dont see a difference in doing that either. :(

#8 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hello agosden;

What kind of internet service do you have? Cable, DSL? Do you know your connection speed? Can check it here. Using wireless? Running other programs while you are playing? Try playing with Anti- virus disabled. Sometimes firewall may be blocking ports, I know you had to add some ports for exceptions for WoW at one time. You try playing any other games offline or online to test out your system? Is anyone else using the internet at the same time you are? Someone using the wi-fi option on their phone?

Edited by Jelerak, 01 January 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#9 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi there again,

I have DSL internet, and nothing else is running at the same time. I am confident it is not an issue with the internet, because the other person I mentioned that got the same card and is running on 100 fps is actually my step son who is in the same house on the same internet. Funny thing is that he is on wireless and getting that good fps, and I am hardwired directly to the router and doing terribly. We have tried the antivirus disabling as well, in fact I uninstalled it totally to see if that would help to no avail. I havent tried testing it with another game to see if the problem is WOW or my computer- That might have to be a next step if I can find something to test with.

#10 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Is plenty of free to play games out there. EQ, EQII, Tera. Just for test options. EQII or Tera would be more graphic intense. Is his computer specs about the same as yours? Have you played why he is not online? Also have you tried hooking your computer straight to modem? Tried a different Ethernet cable?

Edited by Jelerak, 01 January 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#11 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Also try connecting to the different ports on the router, if connecting straight to the modem fixed the problem.

#12 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi there again,

I switched out the ethernet cable last night, no change. There is also no change if he is online or not- His computer is slightly better than mine is, but not by much. I will try another game this evening, but this is looking like maybe these upgrades were a waste of money for me :(

#13 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Oh also, we dont have a modem- Only a router.. so maybe I am wrong in saying we have DSL- We have Digis so its a satelite dish on the roof that feeds in to an outlet on the wall- Then an ethernet cord from the wall to the router- and all hard wired computers plugged into the router. I will also try changing the port that it is plugged into tonight to see if that helps at all.

#14 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I really think you should see better results from the upgrades. Besides switching ports, if no improvement seen, can also hook up step-sons computer and see how it works hard wired to router.

#15 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I appreciate your help a lot. I dont expect you to help us forever, but nothing is working. I am at the point I am thinking I may just need to return the upgrades and try to save up for a new computer. We tested the ports on the router, no change. I downloaded EVII and was getting about 10 fps on that- I hooked up my sons wireless adapter to my computer since he is doing so well off that, and no change. I have pretty much ruled out that it is the router or the internet, and I do not think it is wow. I think it is something in my computer. I read somewhere something about that if Windows 7 is not a genuine version that can really mess with things- and at one point someone told me my version was not genuine (I bought the computer second hand) so maybe that is my main problem? I dont know.. This is beyond frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users