Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup and restore links not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 melanddrew

melanddrew

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi, hopefully someone out there can assist me with this one:

When I try to use backup and restore, the backup and restore window informs me that my F: drive is not connected (which it is). Also if I click on "change settings" or "turn on schedule", the link appears not to work, it simply sends me to the system folder. I would like to set up some sort of automatic back up of the whole system (not just my personal documents) but can't figure out how to get it to work.

I am sure that it is something obvious and easily that I just don't understand

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Have you been here? http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

Tekken

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Is your harddrive being recognized by Windows at all?

Personally, I have found Windows Backup/Restore Center to be unimpressive. Instead of using it, I manually backup all of my most critical files roughly every week (this is, admittedly, a bit tedious...but it maintains my exact folder structure and I can easily look through my backups to find specific files). For a more complete backup, I use Macrium Reflect (the free edition) to create a “System Image” about every 3 weeks. A System Image is a duplicate of all of the data on the Hard disk.

-r0d3r1ck

#4 melanddrew

melanddrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks roderick for the advice. Windows recognises the hard drive completely for everything else except back up. I think that is because I changed the drive and it is still looking for the old back up drive, not the new one. Since is won't let me change the settings, I can't get it to find the new drive. At the moment I back up my files using my antivirus but have to do a manual system image when I remember, I was hoping to set it to both automatically, but I think I'll look into using some other system to do it, I'll check out macrium, thanks.

#5 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Regarding Macrium Reflect, there's good news and bad news.
The good: You can schedule some backups
The bad: You can only schedule Windows backups/System Images in the free edition. For file backups, you need to buy the paid version.

If you're o.k. with paying for a backup program, I've also heard very good things about Acronis True Image. It looks like Acronis is just a little bit more expensive than Macrium.

If you want to stick with Freeware, you could try EaseUS Todo Backup Free . I've never used it, but it certainly is popular (I have used another program made by the same company and it's work very well).

-r0d3r1ck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users