Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Drive not showing actual size

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi, my Sandisk Cruzer 8GB USB Drive is not showing it's actual memory size. It is a 8GB USB Drive and it's only showing it as a .99GB USB Drive. PLEASE HELP! I NEED MY GEGABYTES BACK!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

First step is relax. Deep breaths, in and out. Goosefraba.

Second, we need some basics. Speccy is a freeware tool that can be downloaded and used to generate a wealth of system info. Export this information to a text file, and copy the results here.

For now, let's go to your computer. Right click on the flash drive, select properties.

Please reply with:
General tab - file system, used space, free space

Next, go to the "Tools" tab. Click "Check now" and confirm when the UAC box pops up.
Make sure only the first box (find and fix file system errors) is checked.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Ok I'm kind of relaxed.

I am on the General Tab. The File System is "FAT". My used space is 0 bytes. My free space is 1,073,446,912 and right beside it, it says .99 GB. After checking that i went to tools like you said to do and checked for any errors. None were found. I don't know what to do now!

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Right click the drive again, but this time click "Format". Select the default capacity, select NTFS file system, 4096 byte allocation unit size, name it anything you like, and tick the "Quick Format" box.

After you have done all this click "Start" and confirm any message boxes that show up.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#5 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Ok the Format is complete and now it says that 989 MB free of .99 GB. Now when you said to select the default capacity, all it said is 1.00 GB so I selected that

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

How old is this flash drive?

I <3 Linux

#7 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just about a year old. I'm guessing that there is nothing that can be done, correct?

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi

What were you using it for between the time it last said it was 8GB and the time it first said it was 1GB?

Specifically, I'm wondering if you used it for a phone or tablet.

James

#9 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

No, I wasn't using it for anything. I haven't used this for a month but a month ago I did install a bootable version of Ubuntu on it. But then I deleted it and it was all fine. I never used it for any phone or tablet

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

If the capacity was correct after removing Ubuntu then I would consider it to have gone bad and would not trust it anymore.

What I was looking for was a situation where some partitions were placed on it that can not be seen properly by Windows (this often happens with certain Linux partitions). I usually see this when the card is used for loading custom ROMs on a phone or tablet.

James

#11 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

James makes a good point, Linux partitions can use a different file system that Windows doesn't account for at all.

However, a format of the drive should completely erase all data (including existing file systems) and in this case have established the new NTFS partition.

I would say at this point to replace the flash drive. They are dirt cheap now and not worth your time when it comes to trying to troubleshoot an oddball error without any critical data on board.

I <3 Linux

#12 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Ok well thanks for the help anyway. I have a USB 3.0 port on my laptop but should I invest more money into a USB 3.0 or just get a USB 2.0 USB Drive. And will the USB 3.0 flash drive work in the USB 2.0 port. Also what is the highest size USB 3.0 or 2.0 port you can get

#13 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

A USB 2.0 drive will work in a USB 3.0 port, but not vice versa.

It depends what you use it for. If you routinely move large numbers of large files, you may benefit from a USB 3.0 drive, however most of the time USB 2.0 will be sufficient (I don't even have a USB 3.0 flash drive). I would recommend a USB 3.0 external hard drive though, the speed benefit there is substantial.

As far as sizes, they are available up to 128GB currently. Those are a bit expensive, so I would recommend something in the 8-64GB range. The 8GB drives can typically be had for $10 or less, and there are 64GB drives available for under $50.

I <3 Linux

#14 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Ok well I decided on a USB 3.0 Drive. Thank you for everybody's help on this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users