Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Thinks I Am Not Connected To Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jvmcclory

jvmcclory

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

My normal broadband internet access runs perfectly. My problem is that any program that needs internet access to report something gets message saying "must be connected to Internet" or similar; if there is an option to retry then this works, but so many of them, including Microsoft error messages do not have this option. I used to have no problem with this so suspect there is a registry entry being checked which needs changing.
I downloaded Microsoft's Onecare software and clicking the option to pay online gave this problem - a nice Microsoft engineer gave several suggestions to no avail, I think she was too general a support person.
Trawling the Internet I can find other people with similar problem but no obvious solution.
This is my first post on a forum so would be over the moon if anyone could solve it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:45 AM

Onecare evendently has a firewall componant. I have never used it but you will need to find the settings that modify permission for the firewall. You may have it set to Block All. It should be set to ask if you wish to allow the program to access the internet. This way you can allow or block access on a case by case basis.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jvmcclory

jvmcclory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:05 AM

It was happening before Onecall and when the Microsoft engineer ran out of ideas I uninstalled Onecall and reverted back to ZoneAlarm

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

message saying "must be connected to Internet" or similar

A complete and exact copy of the error message would be helpful.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

Are you running on a router or other firewall?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

Make sure the Windows firewall (XP's) is disabled if you are using Zonealarm and that the programs that you use to connect to the internet have permission set in Zonealarm. You may have denied them permission when Zonealarms popup boxes popped up.

Zonealarm should have shut the Windows firewall off when you installed it but look anyway (in the control panel).

How long did you have One Care installed?

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 March 2006 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users