Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont POST after changing cases

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jason S

Jason S

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am in the process of upgrading my PC case from a cheap rosewill case to a NZXT Phantom 410 to achieve better airflow and cable management options.
Aside from the case swap, i have changed nothing else about my computer.

With all components unplugged including the PSU, I was reading a set of instructions when i heard a really loud POP come from one of the PC components. I scanned over the top surface of the MOBO and found nothing visually wrong, so i assumed a capacitor blew in the 7 year old 650w PSU. I finished putting everything together, and tried to power up with the original PSU, but i got nothing. No fans, no HDD spin up, nothing.

Since then, I have tried:

A confirmed working power supply, only 350w from my server.

Confirm that the power switch was connected in the right orientation.

Connecting the power switch from the old rosewill case to the mobo to test if the power switch in the new case was faulty.

I am seeking further troubleshooting advice, and thanks in advance for all help!

COMPUTER SPECS:
Mobo: Asus P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel 2nd gen i5 (Locked)
RAM: 8GB Gskill (4 2gb DIMMs)
Video Card: Sapphire 7950
Drives: WD black 500gb boot drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Something must be shorting the motherboard. Check the wires and standoffs. Check if anything is touching the motherboard that is not right and check if the motherboard touches the case, if back plate isn't placed properly.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I've been thinking about this.

When you heard the Loud Pop where was the motherboard sitting? On an insulated surface or on a conductive surface?

The two things that come to mind when you say loud pop are a capacitor blowing or a capacitor discharging through a conductive surface.

Trouble shooting: Remove the motherboard and place on a non conductive surface. With only the memory and CPU and a known good power supply what happens? You do not need a power switch to turn it on. You just need to momentarily close the two power switch contacts. Labeled PWRSW. Try with no Video card first, You just want to see if the fans run and if you can connect a speaker to the 4 pin speaker connector if there are any beeps as a first step.
Any chance you are still under warranty on the Motherboard?

From the English manual on this page
[attachment=133855:P8P67 LE.jpg]

Don't forget you will need the 24pin and the 8 pin power leads from the power supply connected. The 8 pin supplies power for the CPU and The 24pin powers everything else.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users