Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it malware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I've been having an issue that's been bothering me for the past few months.

I have an iPhone 3GS and it's getting old and showing its age-- the silent switch on the side doesn't work anymore and it decides when it wants to charge, but now I'm having a new problem, and it's unsettling for me.

For the past two or three months, when I've been on the phone and tried to put the person on speaker, mute, hold, or do anything like that, I tap on the icon, it turns blue like its going to work, then goes right back. I'm now having the same problem with texting, and when I open apps, I have to tap on the icon at least two or three times and then the app comes up like its been open the whole time. I close out my apps completely (double-tapping the home button and then closing it out) so I don't think that's the culprit of that. And more recently, most of the time when I search on google in the search bar, it randomly comes up with the screen that says something along the lines of "We cannot process your request because we believe your computer is sending automated requests." I have ordered things online and had no financial issues or anything, I just have no clue what's going on.

My best friend ever is a programmer and has made his own operating system and the list goes on and on and he loves hacking phones and stuff like that, and he thinks it's malware and wants me to flash my phone, but I don't want to turn my phone into a brick because I did something wrong. I can live without all my apps or download them again, and I already have my contacts and most of my pictures backed up.

I'm sorry if I don't quickly reply, I'm busy with my family and next week I'll be in school again.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Also, sometimes when I text people all the texts that they sent will disappear. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Though I do not think this is malware, but rather corrupt settings, firmware, or just faulty hardware, I do agree that you should reset your phone to factory defaults. As long as you have your contacts, notes, and other important data backed up, I would just reset it to factory defaults. I am not suggesting you jailbreak it, but instead use itunes and recovery mode to reset it to factory defaults. More info here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

If your issues are software ones, this process will not brick your phone. If its a hardware issue, then its possible you could have issues after the reset. Then again if its hardware issues, then its most likely the phone will fail soon anyway.

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Adding to what Grinler said, you're never going to brick your device if you don't jailbreak it, or access the filesystem. Also, your phone is around 4 years old. Feel good you took care of it so well!

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users