Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is live 365 safe? other safe free web radio?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Many, many years ago (when most people didn't even have regular anti-virus programs) I used to listen to web radio on live 365. I think I had to download a player.

I haven't listened to web radio for a >10 years and was wonder if their player and their site is safe and if so - which player at their site to use (I'd be doing for free not the VIP sites)?

If they're not a safe site or player (I noticed other sites I used I can't even access anymore due to my protection), can anyone suggest safe, free sites with opera, mariachi/tejano, jpop, bollywood, etc. music?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Live 365 is safe. They've been around for years. The stations are user curated so it's OK for specific music genres. If you are looking for something with more variety, Pandora is the most popular streaming radio in the US. And you don't have to download anything. If you are outside the US as I am, I use AccuRadio and I have it set up so it will play almost anything at random. I use it to determine my blog song of the day. You can set up your own custom mix. And again there's no player to download. Just be sure to register so you save any changes. It's a free service.

http://www.accuradio.com/

#3 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Suggestion on which live 365 player?

I tried pandora a few years ago and it kept playing stuff I hated, not in the genre I requested, etc. I even had a running emails with the people running it and gave up after several months. Plus they were very weak on most genres I listen to except soul - and wouldn 't play soul or mariachi when requested those genres but songs from unrelated genres and/or repeated a "no" to a song/artist - still continued to play. Even requesting specific artist/songs they didn't get played often, if at all. They played more stuff I hated than I liked. I won't go back to pandora.

I don't care about listening to random - usually in the mood for specific genre. I'm in the US and tried the AccuRadio, and although it has some genre's I listen to not most.

I just checked out one of the old stations I listened to Jpop and it now in order to listen need to download Winamp Media Player and Winamp Toolbar. Are those safe?

Thank you very much.

Edited by Tierra93, 31 December 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Winamp is safe but I don't think it should be necessary to download a desktop player to listen to internet radio. I would suggest you look at Accuradio's different stations and do a mix of the genres you like. Remember you need to register to save any changes. I'm pretty sure they don't have a mariachi station but they do have world music stations that might play that kind of music. And you can rate a song or ban any artist if you don't want to hear it again. There is an options button in the player. But unlike Pandora, AccuRadio doesn't try to predict what you might like. The songs play at random.

Edited by frankp316, 31 December 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#5 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thank you. I did check out the world music and they really don't have any of the genre's I listen to. I will listen to some things on it when in the mood, but most of what I'm looking for isn't available.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

They take requests and add new channels all the time. A couple I asked for, black gospel and film music, were recently added. And one would think with the emerging popularity of J-Pop and K-Pop, they would want to add them anyway.

#7 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thanks - maybe I will. I did with Pandora but they never got right. But from the few stations I sampled at AccuRadio - they at least were playing the right genres. There are a lot of little known Mexican genres (depending on the region) that I'd like to hear - and can only do that by finding a radio station in the region - something I've not tried for several years.

BTW, if you like gospel, a friend of mine owns a web radio station that plays gospel all day Sundays (Pacific time US/Canada - the stations is an international one as the business is in both Vancouver, BC and Portland, OR) his website is called:

thestreetbeatint

He's starting to venture out to other than Hip Hop and gospel.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Tierra93, 31 December 2012 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users