Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmenting an SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've heard that there is no benefit to defragging an SSD, because it doesn't matter which physical section a bit of data is stored in. Like I totally get why fragmentation is bad on a mechanical drive, but I hear that simply doesn't apply to SSD's. I also heard that defragmenting an SSD is actually bad because it creates unnecessary read/writes that will slow down your drive.

Anyhow, I defragmented my SSD by accident (I was just going to analyze it while my mechanical drive was defragging, and it automatically started defragging the SSD too).
I was wondering did I do a really really bad thing? I mean did I just takes months off of my SSD's life? Or is the damage less than that, like maybe I just did a couple of days worth of writes in that 10 minutes it was defragging?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

It does take some (maybe 8 or 10 hours) time off the lifespan of your SSD, but I'm fairly certain you will replace it with a bigger drive before that time comes.

The rationale is that SSDs have no moving parts. No platters, no r/w heads that must move to the position of the data you wish to find. The access is by electric current, and the time frame that this happens in is so small that the physical difference between one chip and another is left only for academics.

Edited by MDTechService, 30 December 2012 - 10:41 PM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Or is the damage less than that, like maybe I just did a couple of days worth of writes in that 10 minutes it was defragging?

Yes, this IMO. Like MD said, the reduction in lifespan, while avoidable, isn't likely to be something you'll really notice.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Edit I see others posted while I was composing my reply. I Agree with them.

There is no need to defragment a SSD. The latency is so low and the drive is always doing wear leveling which moves the data around so that all the memory locations get the same amount of wear. So yes the Defrag did put some wear, There is no way to know how much as every computer and drive is different.

I wouldn't worry about it. In the life of the drive it was probably a minimal affect. The drive should last a long time anyway. Things such as having enough free room on the drive to give the wear leveling plenty of memory locations will have more of an effect.

For example I put this one in use around April 2011, I've done a firmware upgrade along the way.

[attachment=133801:Intel 320 Series.jpg]

As you can see the drive health is good as is the estimated life remaining. That is leaving everything from the Windows 7 Install on the SSD including the swap file which I believe makes virtual memory much faster.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 December 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users