Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Media Center windows files repair

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gearheadboy

gearheadboy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hello. I have a Toshiba M115 laptop that I purchased new. It is XP Media Center Edition SP3. I have no back up disk as it did not come with one. It has a recovery disk which has helped me with a few program file problems. I know I have windows errors and missing dll's. Can someone help me repair windows using my "Cab" files? I ran the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW. It kept prompting me for a disk. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

When you run sfc /scannow and it prompts you to insert the disk it means that there are files which need to be repaired or replaced.

Do you know anyone who could loan you an XP disk to make this repair? This would be the simplest. You might call a local repair shop to see if they will burn you a copy.

Another option will be to use the i386 file. This involves editing the Registry, if mistakes are made during this it can damage your operating system. For this reason you should use a program like ERUNT to back up your registry. If you are not comfortable doing this I would suggest trying to find a disk to borrow.

Click on start / run and type regedit in the box provided.

This starts registry editor

Each time you see " \ " it is designating the next part to be clicked on. Ex: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\(click on)Software...

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\setup
Click on SourcePath
in the Value data box type C:\
Click ok
Then file
Exit

Start
run
sfc /scannow

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users