Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista + Firefox = Internet Freeze/Hang

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Diogi

Diogi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Vista, four years old. It was my daughterís for college, she just bought a new MAC so we now have her old laptop. It was fine until about a year ago when she installed Kaspersky (we had Norton for a long time but switched to K). After unstalling Norton and installing Kaspersky the laptop started intermittently freezing while she was on the internet. This went on for awhile, she uninstalled then reinstalled Kasperky (she thought perhaps it didnít install right) then she started getting random BSOD shutdowns (often with a sound that she said sounded like a water drop just before BSOD), both on and off the internet. She would be in the middle of a game and it would shut down, be on the net and it would shut down, etc. Ran all types of diagnostics with zero positive results but since she still needed it for school she just put up with it until she could get a new computer.

My husband reinstalled the OS on the laptop and while we no longer get the BSOD it is now freezing/hanging when on the internet but only on the internet (so far -- we have one Hoyle Card Game installed and that can be played and played without problems/freezing/hanging). It loads a page about 90% then just hangs there. It takes several minutes or more before it finally finishes loading the page but as soon as you click on a link or scroll it freezes again. Nothing works Ö you canít even x out of the page, canít refresh, nothing. The mouse does nothing. Bottom left it will say itís loading the page then says waiting then says looking then says transferring and all the while you canít click on anything or even scroll. Ctrl/Alt/Del to get Task Manager and end the task is all we can do. This brings up the message of ĎFirefox is not respondingí. It seems like FF and Vista (Windows?) canít ďcommunicateĒ with each other. We replaced the Ethernet cables (we have Verizon DSL) to see if that helped but it didnít. Have a desktop, two other laptops, Kindle Fire and iPhone that all are fine with zero problems. The problem seems to be with the laptop not the internet/connection.

We are running latest version of Firefox (17.something), Java 6.34 (had Java 7 but read that there were some conflicts with Java 7 and FF 17 so tried this version but it didnít do any good), latest version of Adobe, downloaded current Dell drivers (all are not quite installed), hardware acceleration is turned off, disabled add-ons and checked them one-by-one. When the OS was reinstalled and the account created it kept running everything as ĎAdministratorí. We unchecked the User Account Control (UAC) so it wouldnít run as administrator because we thought running as administrator might be causing the problem but changing it did nothing except give us a red x on the task bar. Nothing seems to work.

We could get on the internet via IE (um, but itís IE and slow) without the freezing problem so we are thinking the conflict is between Vista and Firefox. I uninstalled FF with the intention of downloading an older version to see if it was FF 17 giving us the problem. When I went to go to IE to get on the web? IE isnít on the laptop. All I did was uninstall FF but IE seems to have vanished. It was there because we accessed the web through it but now we canít find it. I restalled FF 17.something and here we are. Stuck.

Any suggestions as to what to try or look for? We are at a loss. Should we restall Vista?

Thank you to anyone with any suggestions/advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Diogi

Diogi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Downloaded to FF 15.0, no change.

Tried running FF in safe mode, no change.

Am trying to download version 10.3 of Flash but the laptop browser and/or FF keeps freezing. I don't think this version will make a difference but have to at least give it a shot.

Anyone have ANY ideas??

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Try another browser, like Google Chrome.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Diogi

Diogi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Try another browser, like Google Chrome.

We were able to access the web via IE without any of the freezing problems. As stated above I removed FF 17 thinking to dl FF15 (via IE) but cannt find IE on the computer now. No clue on that. Also, prior to installing Kaspersky (both originally one year ago and this time around) it worked fine. Can't figure what the conflict might be between Kaspersky and Vista and/or Firefox.

Will give Chrome a shot. Thx.

#5 Diogi

Diogi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

dc3 -- your advice was sound! Downloaded GC a bit ago and so far, so good. Very fast, no hangs, no freezes. No clue in the world what the problem is with FF on this laptop but it certainly seems that the conflict is between FF, Kaspersky and Vista. Weirdness.

Glad that GC is working and hopefully it will continue to do so. Thank you again, dc3.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I hope it solves your problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users