Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system config problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bleedBnG58

bleedBnG58

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

The Compaq PC I have is old but we use it for only certain things. Recently I deleted some downloaded programs which must have affected other programs and hardware on the PC. I could not access a system restore point and also the dvd/cd rom drive wasn't usable or recognized on the unit anywhere. I was unable to use the backup disks I made when we got the PC because the dvd/cd rom would not work.

Today I did a system recovery using the Compaq System Recovery console (F10). After restarting I got the following error message: Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to Customer Care using the phone number found in the Warranty and Support Guide that came with your PC. Unless corrected, the error will prevent your PC from operating properly. Turn off you PC by pressing and holding the Power button. After a few seconds your PC will automatically turn off. (Code Purple)

Not sure if Code Purple has any meaning.

I tried doing another recovery in Compaq System Recovery but got the same results as the first time.

When I try to restart in safe mode (F8) I get the same error message as above.

Starting in normal mode I get the following message: There is a system configuration problem. Try running setup again.

I can get to setup (F1) but don't know what to do.

The PC runs on Windows XP Home Edition and IE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Per http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/code-purple :

"Code Purple error results when you try to install a Compaq/HP tattooed OS onto a non-tattooed motherboard.

If your computer is a Compaq or Hp, then your tattoo on your motherboard is either improperly tattooed, damaged or missing.

This tattoo can go missing if your computer has been in a shop and had its motherboard replaced with a non-Compaq/Hp tattooed motherboard.

Sometimes even computers that are repaired directly by Compaq/HP are returned with non-tattooed motherboard and have their OS reinstalled using a non-tattooed version of the OS.

To repair this, you will have to get the motherboard retattooed by Compaq/HP in order to reinstall the Compaqa/HP tattooed OS install disk that came with the computer.

An alternative to doing this is to purchase a retail copy of the OS, such as buying a retail copy of Windows XP. These retail copies of the OS will install on any brand of computer and do not require a tattoo to be present."

Louis

#3 bleedBnG58

bleedBnG58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I can't understand how I got a Code Purple when I didn't do anything that you say creates it. I did not install an OS, only delete some downloaded programs. It hasn't been at repair shop or has the motherboard even been looked at. I don't doubt that what you say is the issue with the PC, but don't get the reasons.

Secondly if I could get a retail copy of the OS I can't use the dvd/cd rom drive, so that repair isn't an option. If drive E was usable I could use the recovery disks created when we got the PC. Any other repair suggestions? Nothing in setup or in safe mode or the system recovery console to try or a way to use my backup disks?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

I would contact HP and see about replacement restore-to-factory-defaults options.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users