Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spying......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi you all,
I'm not real sure where to put this so if it's in the wrong place i'm sorry, please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot....

My Hubby was reading an article in Popular Mechanics of all places, that was talking about the use of Spyware/tracking devices....

The long and the short of the article was that this couple in Casper WY. had gotten a laptop computer from AAron's , it was a rent to own deal, they paid it off early, BUT somebody hadn't logged the final payment, so the store manager of that particular Aaron's considered them to be in arrears, so he "activated"the spy wear thathad been installed on the laptop, without this poor couple even knowing that it was on their Laptop.....the laptop was also equipped with a camera, this spy wear started immediately invadeing their privacy.....
The manager decides to go to their hime and repossess the Laptop, and as proof that he knows that they still have the laptop, shows the husband a picture of him sitting on the couples brown sofa in their livingroom.....
This poor man was extremely upset,
and they are now suing "Designer Ware" the company that installs; this stuff.....

Now I know that schools have had their hands smacked for using spy ware on their school issued Kaptop's but apparently this is a much bigger problem, companies like this are installing this stuff and collecting your personal info, spying on you in your homes..ect

My question is this...
1) how do you tell if you have ben invaded with this stuff on your pc??
2) what can you do if you do discover that you have been invaded..ie what program's can you use to block/disable??
what steps can you take to keep this from invadeing your life?? Firewall?? good protection from programs like AVAST! and simular??

Thank You In Advance for any and all answeres!!!

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

well, I usually build my own systems, and install the OSes myself. I avoid rent to own places like the plague, often for reasons like this. All spyware is installed on your system, sometiems A/V programs pick them up, sometimes they dont, often the only way to find them is to find the registry entries. If I were to purchase a computer from a place like that, I think the first thing I would do is a clean install of the OS to make sure only my softwares on it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

My daughter uses a laptop for her classes at college. At my suggestion she has a yellow Post-It over the camera lens -- she takes it off when she wants to use Skype with us on weekends!

#4 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

@Capn Easy,
What a simple and yet INGENIOUS solution!!!..Thank you so much!!

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

problem is, covering up the camera does not disable the microphone. . .just going to throw that one out there. . .and if you use the camera for skype they can still spy on your convesations. Best to just find and remove the software any way possible.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Yep, and I would never suggest living with malware.

She has a good anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall combination, and good habits. And she runs scans on a regular basis.

But, she's an engineering student. She has to run programs from the department, teaching assistants, other kids in her study groups, etc. -- this is just some added insurance. The problems at the Lower Merion School District made the news here a couple years ago and got me thinking about contingencies.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370622,00.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users