Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move Registry Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

I was always wondering, is it possible to move entire program registries from one Windows to another? I say this because, since my recent HD crash, I had bought another HD. Now, Windows worked fine on the other drive, but didn't wanna boot. (for whatever odd reason) Now, I have games and apps, to which the CDs are just completely shot, that I wanna move to my new HD. Is it possible to get into the Windows registry file of the other HD, and copy it into this new copy of Windows I am running? I really want to get that new computer that my dad is willing to get, but I don't wanna lose my stuff either (we are selling this current comp for money towards the new one). Thanks very much!!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:52 AM

Yes but you will have some bizzare things go on with the computer, if not lock it up totally.
Start>Run>regedit Export the files from the top of the tree to aa folder on C:\, then burn to CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:50 AM

Are you serious? Well, isn't there some way I can do it without getting the windows registries? Because I recall that I had some stuff stuck in the registry (spy/mal/etc) and it really was freaking us out. I wanna go into regedit myself and look around, but I'm afraid the wrong move could send my entire computer into the air. Is there someway that I can export a specific folder from the registry? So that I can what I want and not the whole 60+ megs of it?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

Of course, you can back up all or a part of the registry. More info can be found HERE.

And, yes. It is my opinion that acklan was serious.

Anytime you mess with the registry you run the risk of hosing your system. Especially if you import part or all of a known infected registry.

I would strongly recommend against this, as it should only be done by experts, and if you have to ask how to do it then you are not an expert in Windows Registry. Not a slam, mind you, just trying to give you some caution about the seriousness of what you are attempting. If you try this, please post back and tell us how it went, as I have never done it quite that way and perhaps I can learn from your experience.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:25 AM

ok... I just opened regedit, and here what I saw. All the things I want to keep are already there. How did this happen? I know I created a backup of the registry on the other HD, but neither my mom or I can recall that I unpacked the backup into my current drive.

From what I know about registries, the regitry files on other hard drives aren't supposed to show up. Can somebody back me up on that?

- Rick Cook

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

How did you install the new HD?
Did you migrate everything from the old one or do a new installation of Windows?

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

I plugged in the new HD and left the other out of the case. I installed XP Home via the CD Dell gave me. Plugged in the HD and backed up everything I needed to. And, then (I just now remembered this) I found the registry backup I created just prior to the BSOD, and got our registry to what it was. Hehe, I did do that. And now, my dad wants to sell the computer with the 80GB HD and keep the 60GB HD (the one that crashed). Thanks for all your help, I'll keep all this in mind for later uses.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users