Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP: coooo218 [Registry File Failure]

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kinera

kinera

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

My Dads computer suddenly blue screened while it was sitting open --no tabs, just on the desktop. He was out of the room for a moment, but it's suspected that my 19 month old niece was slamming her hands on the keyboard since she likes doing that. When he came back, the error message read:

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. Beginning dump of physical memory.

We have no recovery disks or any other disks for it, since the computer was used when we got it from a friend. The laptop model is a Toshiba Satellite as far as I can tell, I don't know much else about it. It runs with Windows XP. When starting up the computer, it boots up, runs like it's going to start on the windows loading screen, then blue screens with this error message here. I have tried pressing F8 to run in safe mode to start a system restore, but when I do that it goes right back to this screen. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Repair Registry File Failure, C0000218 Error - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Error Message When You Install Windows XP STOP c0000218 {Registry File Failure} - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

Louis

#3 kinera

kinera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Neither of those links helped. We don't have a CD for the computer, so I can't do those steps.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi -
Can you get into Safe Mode by using this version ?

1/ Restart your PC - As the computer starts, begin to tap F8 key
2/ Keep tapping the F8 Button until a menu appears.
3/ When the menu appears use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the 'Last known good configuration' option.
4/ Once selected press Enter.
5/ Your PC should now reinstall the 'last know good configuration file'.
6/ Restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved.

If you do not have a XP CD, do you think that you can borrow one ? It needs to be the same as your version (Home / Pro / Media Edition Etc)
You will find millions of these around, as there were so many sold when XP was released (even try eBay)
EDIT -
I just browsed eBay and found copies from $15 up to Original Unopened CDs for $70 top price

Edited by noknojon, 30 December 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#5 kinera

kinera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

We're able to get into the F8 window, but it won't go any further than that. We try logging in under safemode as well as 'last known good configuration'. Both go right back to the blue screen after loading past the windows screen. I'll try finding a Windows CD, but I don't think we'll be able to get one.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

On the surface, this problem is most likely a simple file-corruption issue. The "software" registry hive has become corrupt. However, the cause of the file-corruption may be a failing hard drive. If this is the case, then there may be no benefit in attempting to repair the file corruption (especially if the hard drive is failing badly). Indeed, any attempt to repair the file system if the hard drive is failing badly may make the situation a whole lot worse, rendering any existing data that may currently be recoverable, corrupt and unreadable.

I suggest 3 steps for you to take in the order listed:
  • Test the hard drive. If no problem > continue ...
  • Create an XP Recovery Console CD and boot with it
    • Then run chkdsk /P or chkdsk /R to attempt repair of the file-system corruption.
    • If that fails to allow XP to boot successfully, then try a registry hive replacement > continue ...
  • Create a bootable Linux CD/flashdrive and boot to the Linux operating system.
    • Replace the Windows XP registry hives with copies previously saved by Windows System Restore.
      This is dependent on restore points being available to use.

....Step 1.. Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, I recommend that you DO NOT PROCEED, and instead exit/close the SeaTools utilitly and let me know what is happening.
    We should then take a closer look at the hard drive's condition before deciding on the next step and only proceed with a repair attempt after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.

....Step 2.. IF ... and ONLY IF ... the hard drive passes the above tests (specifically the Long test) with the SeaTools utility, create a bootable CD with the XP Recovery Console on it and run chkdsk /r.

:step1: On a working computer, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please choose: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft: Please accept.
  • You will see a few DOS screens flash by: This is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files: Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.)
:step2: On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.
  • Insert the newly created XP Recovery Console CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
  • At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
    • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
    • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
  • Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?
  • If not, let me know what happens. We may need to try a registry hive replacement.

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 kinera

kinera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thank you SO much AustrAlien for the detailed instructions. I'll have my Dad sit down and do this as soon as possible, and we'll let you know the results!

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

:thumbup2: Let me know if you encounter any problems.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users