Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound from speakers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MEDLEY

MEDLEY

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi everyone. After restarting my computer last night I have found that there is no sound from my speakers. I have tried putting the plug into all the different audio jacks and still nothing. I tried using a different set of speakers and still no sound. I can confirm both of these speakers worked on this computer in the past and still work on my other computer. I have found that headphones will work when put into certain jacks (I notice the headphones dont work with the default speaker jack that my speakers used to be plugged into... but i cant confirm if they worked before this all happened). Putting the speaker plug into these particular jacks results in no sound. I tried updating and rerolling my drivers and still nothing from the speakers. I also did a system restore to before this all started happening and still nothing. I did just recently move this computer from another room but I opened the case and everything seems to be plugged in properly and aside from the speakers not working everything is fine. I cant confirm what happened right before the sound stopped working. My computer did go into sleep mode (ive heard this can screw up the sound) after the move but before the restart when I noticed I had no sound. I have tried most of the common solutions found online and nothing seems to work. My computer recognizes the speakers and they are the default speakers and as far as the computer is concerned sound should be coming out but isnt. The speakers are plugged in and are on and dont appear to be muted. Help please!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Let's start with the basics. If your speakers have a power cord check to make sure it is firmly plugged into the electrical outlet. Make sure they are turned on and the volume is turned up. You may (or may not) be suprised by the number of people who discover they have no sound because they did not check the basics.

One thing you can try: are you using on board sound? If so, go to device manager, highlight the sound device, right click and uninstall. Reboot the computer. Windows will see the device as new hardware and install it and the generic windows drivers.

The same thing can be done with a sound card but you will need to install the drivers from the disk that came with the card OR get them from the card manufacturer website. I suggest you look for the card drivers before uninstalling and reinstalling.

If those things are not the problem, then it is possible that the port where the speakers plug into has died.

Do you connect the speakers to the motherboard (on board sound)? If you do and it's dead you have 2 choices

(I'm assuming the system is a desktop because you mention opening the case)

1) replace the motherboard

OR

2) purchase a separate sound card and install it. There are some that don't cost very much and are an easy DIY install. A sound card would be the most cost effective option. There is no need to replace the motherboard if its other components are working.

If you already use a separate sound card either plug the speakers into the on board sound (you may have to enable it in BIOS if it doesn't work) OR
replace the card.

edit to add: if you use a sound card did you make sure it is firmly seated when you opened the case?

This is one possible cause for your issue. Someone else may have other ideas to explore.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 December 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#3 MEDLEY

MEDLEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

thanks for the suggestions. i am using the onboard sound card (99% sure), but why would headphones work and not speakers. lets say i have port a, speakers used to make sound when in port a but dont now. when i put headphones into port a i get sound. it seems to be only speakers that wont work. also everest tells me that my sound card is High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]... does that mean i have the onboard soundcard. also under device manager the two audio related things are called Bluetooth audio device and Realtek High Definition Audo... which whould i delete. thanks

Edited by MEDLEY, 30 December 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

That I can't tell you because I simply don't know. My only experience with that issue was with my first computer in 2001, which was a laptop. One day the speakers quit working and like you I confirmed they still worked. I plugged them into my Walkman. Wanting sound I tried the headphones which were plugged into the same port as the speakers had been in and the sound did work with headphones. Being a laptop it didn't have all the various sound ports a desktop has.

#5 MEDLEY

MEDLEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

do you know which of the things udner the sound device manager i should probably delete? the realtek or blue tooth?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

realtek

#7 MEDLEY

MEDLEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

i deleted the drivers and let my computer reinstall them on its own and the speaker work again! thanks alot for the help :thumbsup:

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'm glad it worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users