Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What codes do I need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCDevil

PCDevil

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi.

I want to try coding different types of sites and learn more about different types of coding as I only really know HTML properly, although I have used many codes for other languages. I was looking at fanfiction.net and fictionpress.com and wondering how they work. I am aware that what I'm about to ask is quite complex and possibly not as simple as someone just telling me the codes, but I basically want to recreate the sites I mentioned and then maybe adapt them.

There are a few features that they use that I want to know how to code. I don't just want to know the coding language as that's not enough to start recreating the sites. Really any codes that you can give, or parts of codes, would be really great and if possible links to the correct coding/tutorials or an idea of exactly what I should google.

Sorry if this is quite long...

First, when someone adds a chapter for a story it goes into a certain category and has other options (e.g. age rating or whether the story is complete) that are shown. What code would be needed to do this?

Second, when someone adds another chapter to a story the chapter is on a new page with a link to the previous chapter and a link on the previous chapter to the next chapter. What code would be needed to upload this new chapter to the story and link it?

Third, all the new stories and updates are shown on one page. What code is needed to do this?

Fourth, under each category you can filter chapters by rating and other options. I found a bit of information about this on Google, but if anyone has any information it would be helpful.

Fifth, they have a statistics page for each member for all the stories they have written. This shows the title, visitors, number of reviews, word count, number of chapters etc. How would I do this?

Finally, all the stories a member has written are shown on the members profile. How would I do this?

I want as much information on all of these as possible.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

hi,im the last person who should be posting here but i will anyway .

using IE i went to one of the sites you mention and went to view/then source and you can see all the code,just need to figure out what s, what

Edited by caperjac, 30 December 2012 - 02:33 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

hi,im the last person who should be posting here but i will anyway .

using IE i went to one of the sites you mention and went to view/then source and you can see all the code,just need to figure out what s, what

Thanks. I already had a quick look at the source (first thing I do when interested in the coding of any site). Not sure that all of it is visible that way, plus it's hard to tell where certain codes start and end.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi PCDevil,

The answer ultimately is that they use a database server such as MySQL databases to store all of the content, PHP to create the dynamic content, and HTML to display the actual content.

To answer all of your questions is simply not possible in the scope of this topic. To really understand how they do this, you need to learn how to use PHP, MYSQL, and HTML. Good tutorials on how to get started with them can be found here:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp

A great book that covers mysql and php is:

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Web-Development-Edition/dp/0672329166

To test this, find a free hosting company that offers mysql and php and starting playing with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users