Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD External Drive not detected in Windows 7 after writing zeros

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hpatel22

hpatel22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have a WD external drive device that I've used for a long time. I wanted to clean up the drive and format it as I do periodically. After moving my files, I used the Western Digital diagnostics program to write zeros to the drive to erase it. I decided I didn't want to wait for the full erase, so I cancelled it, and chose the quick erase option instead. Now the drive is not detected at all in Windows 7's drive list. It is detected in the WD diagnostics program however. Is there any way to recover the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

In Disk Management is there a drive designated as "Unknown"?

If it is right click on it and choose Initialize and follow the wizard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Open command prompt (start > cmd.exe)

diskpart <enter>
list volume <enter>

Does it show up in this listing?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

When you wrote zeros to the drive whether Full or Quick erase that removed the partition table, thus no drive letter.

You probably need to follow this Bleeping Computer tutorial.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/partition-and-format-a-disk-in-windows/

In order to use a hard drive, or a portion of a hard drive, in Windows you need to first partition it and then format it. This process will then assign a drive letter to the partition allowing you to access it in order to use it to store and retrieve data.

You need to do this with any new or refurbished hard dive or it will not show up in my computer. This also applies to one that has been secure wiped.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users