Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scriba_golfer

scriba_golfer

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

My 12 yr old daughter uploaded many photos and video clips from her ipod to our laptop computer. She then later created an additional "user" for the laptop. All files which were located in the main user were moved to folders under her username. Me being dad, asked that we not have multiple users on the laptop and asked her to change it back. So she did. Now all the files cannot be located.

I have attempted searches through all directories and I haven't found them. I found folders where they used to be stored but they are now empty. She believes in her hast she simply deleted all that was connected to her specific username.

I have heard that sometimes when files are deleted that they can be recovered. Can this be done? If so, how and is that something you can help me with?

This dad has tried to help his daughter but it isn't looking good.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Did you look in the recycle bin?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

One tool useful for file searches, Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/ .

For attempted recovery of deleted files...try Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva .

Louis

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

hamluis has a pretty good starting point. If you are unsure of the names of the images/videos on your computer, you can do a search for .jpg, .png, .mpeg, .mp4, or another file extension. .jpg would be your best bet, but be prepared to spend a few minutes looking. If you find what you suspect to be the photos you are looking for, right click that file and select "Open file location".

My first suspicion would be that when you asked your daughter to change back the user account, it deleted all settings and user information associated with that account. At this point, file recovery would be step 2 if an all-inclusive search turns up negative.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users