Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New vulnerability in Internet Explorer detected.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Full article is here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2012/12/29/new-vulnerability-affecting-internet-explorer-8-users.aspx

Today, the MSRC released Security Advisory 2794220 alerting customers to limited, targeted attacks affecting customers using Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8. Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 10 users are safe.

This affects all Windows XP users as neither Internet Explorer 9 nor 10 is available for this platform. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users should ensure that their version of Internet Explorer is up to date.

Until a security patch is released, all users of Internet Explorer 8 or lower are cautioned to use alternative browsers. Alternatively, disabling either Flash or Java will prevent the execution of the exploit.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the update blade.
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 sariki

sariki

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Perhaps I should start using Mozilla again ^_^

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Microsoft has released a workaround Fix It, until the final security update is released that will address this issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2012/12/31/microsoft-quot-fix-it-quot-available-for-internet-explorer-6-7-and-8.aspx
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

30 December 2012 : News about 0-day in Internet Explorer 6,7,8.
02 January 2013 : Microsoft releases FixIt for 0-day in IE
04 January 2013 : Researchers bypass Microsoft Fixit for 0-day in IE

My personal suggested solution : Block IE in your Firewall and use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

#6 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Firefox 17.0.1 :whistle: best out there right now

Isnt there published that mostly of infected users are using browsers like IE, Chrome and FF so far safest? Almost every user i know of in life using the fast opensourced firefox by now during the lovely adblock plugin and all other extensions and it's well working javascript processing etc

#7 Valinorum

Valinorum

Shadow Hide The Hunter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

My personal suggested solution : Block IE in your Firewall and use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

That's why I always use Firefox. :)

Geek U Graduate

I close my topic(s) with no replies for more than 4 days. PM me or Moderators to reactivate. All helps are provided via forum ergo do not PM me for help.

#8 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thank you for the Firewall instruction. i found all kind of AOL allowed in my firewall, and the "block all programs" was no longer checked.

But how will we get updates from Microsoft w/o IE6-8? I do not want to test their beta programs and i feel they are pushing us to updgrade IE and the OS.

Any clues on updating MS XP3 w/0 IE8?

i have been using the virus and malware cleaners Bleeping as suggested. Super anti spware got rid of a Trojan! I haven't found anything that Mcafee or MS Security essentials has done for me, so maybe I will go ahead and invest in SASpyware.

Thank you :-) Also, clues on getting rid of AOL, please.

Happy new year, all. And thanks to the moderators for posting all those neat applets.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Thank you for the Firewall instruction. i found all kind of AOL allowed in my firewall, and the "block all programs" was no longer checked.

But how will we get updates from Microsoft w/o IE6-8? I do not want to test their beta programs and i feel they are pushing us to updgrade IE and the OS.

Any clues on updating MS XP3 w/0 IE8?

i have been using the virus and malware cleaners Bleeping as suggested. Super anti spware got rid of a Trojan! I haven't found anything that Mcafee or MS Security essentials has done for me, so maybe I will go ahead and invest in SASpyware.

Thank you :-) Also, clues on getting rid of AOL, please.

Happy new year, all. And thanks to the moderators for posting all those neat applets.

You can use programs like Secunia PSI to stay informed about Microsoft updates as well as other software.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

I dont know what you mean by AOL, it could be AOL messenger, AOL toolbar or AOL browser. You can use PC decrapifier to get rid of them.
http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Happy New Year to you from all the BC community :)

EDIT: F-Secure has give nice info about this: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002481.html

Edited by Romeo29, 11 January 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#10 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thank you, Romeo29. AOL came with this computer, and I have not installed it. I wonder if that means I can just delete those files since they do not show up in add/remove programs. I will try the F-Secure link and pcdecrapifier. I have CCLeaner, but it seems to want to delete everything. Thank you so much for your assistance. Happy New Year to you, as well. BC has been a great friend. Be well :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users