Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow file transfer speeds over local wireless network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mishrashubham2007

mishrashubham2007

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

I have two laptops both connected to a wi-fi network set up at my home via a router. If I try to transfer files between the computers, I only a speed of 650-700 kBps. Now it's a 54 Mbps connection (6.75 MBps), so the speed that I am getting is only like 10% of this value. Sure I don't expect it to perform at 100% but I should be getting at least 30-40% of this shoudln't I? I have Windows 7 Home Premium on one laptop and Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on the other. I don't think that the OS has anything to do with it since the same thing happened when both were Windows 7.

Router - Beetel 450TC1

Thanks! :D

Edited by mishrashubham2007, 30 December 2012 - 04:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Dear mishrashubham2007,

I would first start with logging into your router by typing 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. This should open a login page. You should either use / username: admin password: password ; or ; username: admin password:admin / then you should be looking in the routers interface. Find the portion which relates to the "Channel" or "Control Channel" and change it from whatever it is to either 1 - 6 or 11, testing each time you make a change. If this does not solve the issue, how is our signal strength? If low, then I would recommend finding a better location for router / computers. Let us know if you get anywhere.

#3 mishrashubham2007

mishrashubham2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Dang! I guess I don't know the username or password to my router since the default ones don't work (I tried the ones you gave and also the ones I got from a site which had default usernames and passwords for all the routers), so I can't access my router.

#4 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Armed with documentation for your router, I would perform a hard reset using the reset button in the back. Usually holding it in for 30 seconds will do it. Then wire in w/ an ethernet cable again and try to login using the above method using the defualt username and password, you should be able to get in at this point. Or the username could be admin and the password could be blank " as in nothing typed in that field " as well, give those a try

Edited by ComputerMedic2013, 31 December 2012 - 01:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users