Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN interface error / drop rate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wendigo4700

wendigo4700

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Greetings all and happy new year.

I have a very very odd problem with my pc, which I can't seem to solve. I have tryed everything to fix it, but no luck. Let me explain.

When I open up my router internal menu, then going to "system monitor" then "traffic status" then "LAN"
In there, I have ALOT of received packet error / drops.
Posted Image

I cannot seem to figure out, how to stop it. I borrowed my parents laptop and conencted it. And there were no error / drops. But as soon I connected my own pc, the numbers started to increase every 5 seconds. The only thing that solves it, is to boot up in safemode. Then the error / drop rate stops increasing on my pc

Here is what I have done so far:

1)Get a new router from ISP
2 Use a highend RJ45 double shielded cable
3)Use the phonecable that came with the router
4)Disable router firewall
5)Upgrade firmware on router
6)Use latest realtek LAN driver + and later older one
7)Use an PCI networkcard, and disable onboard LAN card
8)Scanned for any virus/trojan/spyware (kaspersky internet security 2013 + malwarebytes)
9)Run pc with default settings (no overclocking)
10)Tryed format (C:) with only realtek LAN driver installed, to isolate a software issue

EDIT: I think I misplaced my topic here. Think it should have been under "Networking"

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2012 - 11:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wendigo4700

wendigo4700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I just dont get whats wrong.

I can have everything installed on my computer. Then boot up in safemode and then the error / drop numbers stops for good. Once I acces my router menu options, to check it out.

And on the other hand, I can do a 100% format (C:) on my computer. And as soon I hit the desktop I install the realtek lan driver, so I can acces my router menu options. And in there, the error / drop numbers are increasing already.

Forgot to mention what kind of router I have. But the screenshot, should say that too. Well at least what router it is.
Router: Zyxel 2601HN-F1, wired connection.

Edited by wendigo4700, 30 December 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#3 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sounds silly, but have you tried a differrent port on the back of that modem with the computer that is having issues?

#4 wendigo4700

wendigo4700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yes, I have.

I have also tryed to borrow my parents laptop. And then connect that thing straight to my router, instead of my own pc. And then the error / drop rate stopped.

In a last final desperate move, as I cant think of anything else, I have ordred a new motherboard. Hope that solves it.

Edited by wendigo4700, 03 January 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#5 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

hmmm, the thing that throws me off is that no drops are occurrng in safe mode. That would usually indicate a software / driver problem. However a new motherboard installed with the proper drivers will probably solve your issue. If you want to stick with the same motherboard, I would make sure that you have installed to correct driver for your Lan interface.

#6 wendigo4700

wendigo4700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I know. Its sounds very weird. I am as lost as you :)

1) During safe-mode with every driver + software installed = no error / drop

2) Doing a format C with just lan driver installed, so I can acces the router = raising error / drop

Edited by wendigo4700, 03 January 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#7 wendigo4700

wendigo4700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

New motherboard and CPU, didnt solved the issue. What in the world, is going on here?

#8 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Im so sorry to hear about this,

Did you replce the motherboad with the same model / manufacturer? Possibly that router just does not like that NIC in that motherboard?

Well, if you haven't tried replacing the ethernet cable connecting that computer I would try this. However, if this solves the issue, that would make no sense becuase you have used that cable to connect other computers and they were working okay.

Other than that, I would try and upgrade the firmware on that router.

Also is your packet drops on the LAN tab or the WAN tab? The picture that is posted there are no packet drops on the LAN tab.

Edited by ComputerMedic2013, 12 January 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#9 wendigo4700

wendigo4700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

--Old motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5

--New motherboard:
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH

The new motherboard, uses Intel's own onboard gigabit lan.

I also tryed upgrading firmware on the router (see post #1)

My picture I posted, are under LAN. In WAN, there are no drops.
Or am I missing something?

I will also do a new edit, with eveything I have done. As post #1 is a little outdated.

1) Get a new router from ISP
2 Use a highend RJ45 double shielded cable
3) Use the phonecable that came with the router
4) Disable router firewall
5) Upgrade firmware on router
6) Use latest realtek LAN driver + and later older one
7) Use an PCI networkcard, and disable onboard LAN card
8) Scanned for any virus/trojan/spyware (kaspersky internet security 2013 + malwarebytes)
9) Run pc with default settings (no overclocking)
10)Tryed format (C:) with only realtek LAN driver installed, to isolate a software issue
11) Tryed a new chipset motherboard with a second format (C:) and with its lan driver installed only
12) Tryed after 10+11, to download everything from windows update
13) Tryed my parents laptop, and connect it directly to the router, instead of my own pc. This solved the issue
14) Booting up in safe-mode with either new chipset motherboard or old with network enabled. THis solved the issue

Edited by wendigo4700, 12 January 2013 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users