Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Locks up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Avalon60

Avalon60

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Last weekend my desktop PC with Win7Pro decided to start locking up every now and again, and I could not get the start button get working so I could do a restart. I then had to do a hard reset and wait for the reboot of my system. Then I set about trying to find out why it was locking up. I managed to run my AV program, but not was shown up, so then it was the anti malware programs turn, but I couldn't get it to scan as my system locked up again. |So after another hard reset, I tried as I may to get the anti malware program run, which after a few tries it did, but nothing was found.

I suspected it was some kind of worm which was run from the registry each time I rebooted, but I could not dig any deeper without my system locking up again.

So the only thing I could do, was to re install the OS, and then all my programs.

If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be, it would very appreciated in case it happens again.

Normally, and for some quite long time Win7 Pro has been running without any problems and I regarded as being a solid system, until last weekend of course

Edited by Avalon60, 29 December 2012 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

So the only thing I could do, was to re install the OS, and then all my programs

Were you able to resolved the problem after reinstalling Windows? There are many causes of system freezes. It could either be a software or driver installed, virus infection or thermal events that are usually reference to this cases.

Tekken

#3 Avalon60

Avalon60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

So the only thing I could do, was to re install the OS, and then all my programs

Were you able to resolved the problem after reinstalling Windows? There are many causes of system freezes. It could either be a software or driver installed, virus infection or thermal events that are usually reference to this cases.

I did also try safe mode for scanning with antimalware and antivirus programs but nothing showed up at all so I then went back into normal mode and lo and behold it starting locking up again.

As the reinstall, and that is why only took place 2/3 days ago now, I can only say I don't have any problems, yet. I realise that there were many things that caused the lockups, and that is why I never got to the bottom of it. If there were a BSOD, it might have given me a clue as to what the problem was, but there were no BSODs.

I note that you say thermal events could cause lockups, I take it you mean heating from overclocking and not having sufficient cooling.

My OS was running for about 8/10 months with just the occasional reboot with an over clocked i5cpu and cooled by a Titan Fenrir cooler, prior to the lockups.

But hey, that's PC life.

Edited by Avalon60, 30 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users