Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maou Tsaou

Maou Tsaou

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Mr Litten... are you still out there?
I have the exact same model hp G60 with the same issue... Your fantastic instructions are very clear but I'd like to know if I get stuck I could holler for help! For example I have a external usb drive but it's only 150 Gigs not 320... I don't need ALL my data but would like to try and grab something like 50 to 75 gigs off it if I can manage and want to make sure I don't require something bigger than 320 on the external for sufficent room for the software to do its thing... just knowing your out there would be of some comfort for me in the laptop realm w/unfamiliar software.
If not... oh well, still many thanks for your object lesson in data recovery, I'll be grabbing your book here soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Mr Litten... are you still out there?
I have the exact same model hp G60 with the same issue... Your fantastic instructions are very clear but I'd like to know if I get stuck I could holler for help! For example I have a external usb drive but it's only 150 Gigs not 320... I don't need ALL my data but would like to try and grab something like 50 to 75 gigs off it if I can manage and want to make sure I don't require something bigger than 320 on the external for sufficent room for the software to do its thing... just knowing your out there would be of some comfort for me in the laptop realm w/unfamiliar software.
If not... oh well, still many thanks for your object lesson in data recovery, I'll be grabbing your book here soon.

Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm here still. I would suggest trying this first...

USING A PARTEDMAGIC LINUX BOOT CD TO COPY FILES FROM A DRIVE

Sometimes when Windows won't see a disk drive it is still visible from Linux. This is mainly because Windows' drivers for mounting filesystems are more strict than Linux's. If there are a few files that are very important on the drive, you can try to copy them using this method before proceeding with a repair that may fail and make it much more difficult to recover the files.

First make a bootable CD or USB stick of PartedMagic. Instructions can be found here.

Boot the computer that has the bad drive connected to it with the PartedMagic CD/USB that you made. A menu will pop up, please select
1. Default Settings (Runs from RAM)

Posted Image

When it finishes booting you will notice that it looks kind of like a Windows desktop. The button in the lower left works like the START button in Windows XP and allows you to select and run various programs or shutdown the computer. To make things easy, I'll just refer to this as the START button.

Click the MOUNT DEVICES button which is down by the START button.

Posted Image

You want to click the green MOUNT button next to the bad drive and the drive that you want to copy to.

NOTE THE NAMES OF THE DRIVE NEXT TO THE UNMOUNT BUTTON (was MOUNT button before you clicked it) They should be something like /media/sda1 and /media/sdd1 (though yours may be different)

Posted Image

Once you have mounted both the bad drive and the new drive that we are copying to, you will notice that the File Manager window opened also when you clicked the MOUNT DEVICES button. In it you will see folders representing your drives. The File Manager window should be displaying the contents of the /media folder and your drives will be folders called sda1 and sdd1 (though yours may have different names that you got by looking next to the MOUNT button which should say UNMOUNT now).

Double click the folder for your bad drive and if you see your files and folders then simply select what you want to copy to the good drive and right-click and choose COPY. Then navigate to the folder that represents the drive you want to copy them to and right-click and choose PASTE just like if you were in Windows Explorer.

After you are done, remove the CD and shutdown the computer
Click START>LOGOUT and choose SHUTDOWN THE COMPUTER and click OK.

Connect the external drive where you copied the files to a working computer and verify that they were properly copied.

Let us know if this worked or if you have any questions.

James

#3 Maou Tsaou

Maou Tsaou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words :)

You'd think internet appointments would be EASIER wouldn't you?
SO SORRY for the delay... long story short I'm sure a couple of folks here know about the after x-mas mash where everybody's new AND old stuff ends up shifting through my "I don't do phones" routine from Adaptation, replace the word fish in the done with fish story to phone and you got it pegged
That Creative Zen is looking rough for a conn... but it's spinning cookies?
Jumper pins and dip switches and ribbon, OH MY
A half dozen laptops and half that desk boxes later I got to use MY x-mas present a rath 7700 series to replace integrated 4400 on board and a 450 watt power supply to push it and leave juice for me gadgets
Happy video to me... never been in this generation... well whatever they've got pushing the os'es runnin 8 but touch screen... on a desktop... good one M$, 7 gets a bonus life it seems to me
My windows exp went from a 4.0 on vid to a 7.9 and picked up the Inspiron maxed on processor and Ram soooo my drag point is the hard disk and lets not forget a PCI open and slave CD spot
Was gonna slip in a zip... then thought again
My first storage was a GE portable cassette player with a close eye on the counter and fingers crossed for the acoustic tones
"NO you can't turn the music up"
How do you think hard drives go in frezers?
Sympathetic magic is what... and batteries
SO that being said I really am sorry again as I don't want folks to think they have applied efforts in vain in my behalf... just kept it slow and steady and lost narry a patient one on the table
A couple of gadgets may not make it through triage... maybe so though, I gotta semi-clear desk apart from me HP procedure that'll hum w/o hinder now that I won't have to touch it...
The old magic dies hard and something says DON'T MOVE IT when disk operations are in play
And outta what got thrown away I got a pocket pc (meh... maybe) and not one but TWO IBM not Lenovo IBM ThinkPad 760's
NAAAAA says I
Post test BEEP says they... ThinkPads are vanilla my tuckus the one multimedia laptop I ever got new is now undergoing "what can I save off her" surgery and a new drive
These 760's might just kill a man if I'z backed into a corner
And now my desk actually runs my games... a tough run of Civ V was to be expected but artifacts all over Civ IV was a bit much with 8 gigs ram and 4 quad core processor/s ? (how are they threading these apps today as Auto CAD and... that's it for multi-threaded apps not so very it seems)
Pacing the thing would be more promising if I didn't half pan it already
Abstract doesn't meant make it up as you go... archers shooting over cities?
Across the English Channel?
No scale at all
Did any of the lot what oppted hexes ever play a wargame on tabletop?
Pretty pictures... lovely background music... computer seems unable to play its game
Game design a noble way to starve then "I" go eclectic and insist on pen and paper table top too
Brats are gonna sit face to face... and no more orc fodder from thin air or focus souly on the battle
Violence is harmful not gold coins and a level and war is NOT glorious and I can't let kids think otherwise
Constructive play options is all
Anyway...
I'll report for the benefit of Mr Kite and any other wanders what follow down this path
Donkey Shines Sir

Then I got this Robosapien and SpyTech infra red goggles... I've got a TON of womotes and... eh maybe finish closing up me girl and generally

#4 Maou Tsaou

Maou Tsaou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Okay;
Points off for tardiness I suppose but let me tell you 'bout how the dog ate my homework this time...

I managed to screw up a couple of goes at imaging PartedMagic to CD.
This wasn't the end of the world as I'm pretty sure it was just a old dog and his tricks thing and going with what I know (Astroburn) did the trick... but I didn't know this at first owing to the fact that the video chose this point in time to fritz out on me.
Figuring this out took poor ol' me some brain sweat but I managed to chase it down (WHO says busy lights are pointless these days?)and got my cable seated nice and snug again but the whole process of tracking it down and researching it ate up over a week as I was only spending a few hours every few days on this one.
So last night I finally manage a boot.
After that it was easy as you please 1 2 3 from the instructions starting this thread... and the drives dead it seems.
It doesn't show as an option for mount... of note I got a quote non-invasive recovery ~$500 and clean room work under a K with a no data, no charge clause in case anyone is in THAT spot so all that "backup your data" droning on really IS pretty important after all.
However, as all this was going on...
Just under the warranty wire my Lenovo ThinkPad reported a bad HDD in it's diagnostics program.
I go through the procedures and can't clear the flag so I contact "customer service" who responds by shipping me a new drive pretty much straightaway... none of the standard level 1 "restarts" or similar hassles.
This seemed odd to me as unlike the HP drive this one wasn't showing any similar physical "symptoms" so when I got my new drive I wiped the old drive back to factory state and lo and behold goodbye Lenovo diagnostic flag, hello clean drive with no reports in umpteen different diagnostics. Another call to "customer service" as I have return shipping with labels for the old drive and no physical software for Win 7 for the new drive and no simple fix for the big boot files required so I wanted to find out if I could keep the old drive... I was told to just keep both.
THAT spooked me and I jumped up the CoC about it resulting in me finding myself in possession of a spare drive that just so happens to connect to the HP.
Go figure.
I also found my Slackware 7.0 files... understand it's at 14.0.
May try and figure out this Window$ thing with the keys and no software first... OEM vs. retail and one time copy recovery disk and what are they DOING?
I also should verify that drive is physically shot... I've little doubt it's toast but that's hardly conformation...
Anyway it's all about the learning exercise for me and PartedMagic has been worth the worry alone, THANK YOU for pointing out this fantastic little package!

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

That's fantastic!

Since you can boot into PartedMagic, you can try the next trick.

Boot into PartedMagic with the bad drive connected.
Open the Terminal window (the icon that looks like a monitor in the lower left by the Mount Devices icon) and type
testdisk
and press enter

Select CREATE and press enter (this will create the file testdisk.log in the root folder which is a folder stored in the computer's RAM so it is erased when the computer is shutdown).
You should now see a list of drives including your bad drive.
If you have any difficulty identifying which one it is, let us know what you see and we'll help you figure it out.
Select the bad drive and choose Proceed and hit enter
It should automatically have Intel or EFI GPT selected (if not, select Intel and let me know) hit enter
Select Analyse and hit enter
Select Quick Search and hit enter
Say 'Y' if it asks if the disk was made in Vista/Win7 (even if it was made in XP say 'yes')

If you see what looks like a normal partition, highlight it and press
p
and see if you can see your files and folders there.
If there is more than one partition check each one for files and folders by getting back to the list of partitions found (pressing q), highlighting the next one and pressing p again.

If you can see your files and folders and it all looks normal then stop here and go down to the section below called POST TESTDISK.LOG

If anything does not look correct then continue on to the DEEPER SEARCH. Get to the screen showing the partitions that it found and press ENTER to coninue.
DEEPER SEARCH is an option at the bottom of the screen.
Highlight it and press ENTER

After the DEEPER SEARCH finishes do the same thing with pressing p to see if you can see your files and folders in any of the partitions found and then press
q
a bunch of times to get out of TestDisk.

POST TESTDISK.LOG

On the PartedMagic desktop, double-click the File Manager icon.
In the left pane, you should see a folder called

root

Locate the testdisk.log file in that folder
Double-click it to open it.
Select all of the text in it and paste that text in your reply for us to look at.
Hopefully, you can open Firefox in PartedMagic and login here and reply. There is a wireless network connection icon in the lower right (by the clock) of the PartedMagic desktop if you need to connect to a wireless network.

If you can not get an internet connection from PartedMagic, you will need to mount the internal drive or a flash drive and copy the testdisk.log file from the root folder to it. Then you can get it to us via posting from Windows (Let us know if you need directions for doing this).

If anything looks different than I described or you have any questions/problems, stop and ask.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users