Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon 9200 PRO- Driver issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jerbear64

jerbear64

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

So I've got a Dell Dimension 3000 with Radeon 9200 PRO graphics chips in them. Unfortunately, they stopped working when I (stupidly) used Driver Sweeper to erase the drivers. Now when I boot Windows XP, the splash screen will show up, then the screen will go black. Safe Mode works, though. When attempting to reinstall the driver I get a message: "Inf file error. Try to install after installing a VGA driver." So I extracted the driver EXE and had the Device Manager try to install the extracted drivers. It recognized the cards as Radeon 9250 series cards. So that installed, but to no avail. I've tried System Restore, but that will fail saying it can't get past the splash screen. How can I get back to using Windows without fresh-installing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwarbe

Dwarbe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi jerbear64, you mentioned that safe mode is functional, how far back did you try to restore? Have you tried F8 and boot to "Last Known Good Configuration"? Or boot to safe mode with command prompt and run chkdsk /f.

#3 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I tried to restore to a couple days before I erased the drivers. I have also tried Last Known Good Configuration. Neither will work. Chkdsk /f says that it can't run because the hard drive is being used by another process. Should the Command Prompt be the only program running?

EDIT: Same results when it's the only program running.

Edited by jerbear64, 29 December 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#4 Dwarbe

Dwarbe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Open "my computer or computer, depending on OS". Right click on your C: drive and from the context menu choose "properties"
you should now be looking at a dialogue box with tabs across the top. Choose "tools" then press the button that says "Check now"
You should now see the Check Disk Utility, click start.
Once it tells you that you cant check the disk, you are presented with the option to schedule the check
Click "Schedule disk check", click "OK" and reboot your system the disk check will be performed automatically on reboot

Edited by Dwarbe, 29 December 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#5 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

It would be My Computer. (this is the XP Forum! :grinner: ) That will lead to a GUI that will only exit saying that the check couldn't be completed, but I have ordered Command Prompt to check after a restart, so I will restart my computer, then edit this post with results.
EDIT: Safe Mode paused at the list that shows the loading DLLs- I was assuming chkdsk was running. The computer restarted before I could get a reading, but I'm assuming all is ok now.

Edited by jerbear64, 29 December 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#6 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Bump.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Boot into safe mode, go to Device Manager.

Under View...click show hidden devices.

Uninstall everything listed (one at a time) under Display Adapters.

Then...reinstall the appropriate video drivers,

Louis

#8 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home. This thread and the TehParadox thread on this problem are my only hopes.

#9 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

I uninstalled all the drivers listed, and that allowed me to boot normally. I then installed the drivers (from the non-extracted EXE). It wanted me to restart, but I decided to hit Shut Down since Windows said there were updates. I then turned on my computer and selected Windows XP (I'm on a Ubuntu/XP dual boot) Windows XP splash screen, then just black. I'm back at Square One.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users