Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop dvd drive not reading

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

So my DVD drive quit on me it still sounds like it reads discs and spools but no autoplay or shown in my computer. device manager shows driver error and the strange thing is it is the same with daemon tools. tried updating but no effect.

Hp pavilion dv7 6157cl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hello attak skewence and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You did not mention your current operating system, this makes it a bit tough to offer decent advice to you.

I am providing you with a link to Microsoft's FixIt web site, this link may not work for you if your OS is Vista or Windows 7 or 8, but often works with Windows XP OS versions.

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that canít read or write media
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

If that page loads a screen mentioning this fix does not work with your version, you have an OS higher than XP.

This link below will be more useful for Windows Vista and windows 7.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Again, you can have MS's FixIt fix the problem automatically, or you can follow the instructions given to you on the same page.

If these fail to resolve the problem, your drive may need to be removed and reinserted so that the contacts can re-mate again. This might fix a problem with a faulty electrical connection on the drive.

Further failure would indicate a failed controller chip and the drive will need to be replaced. This task can be performed by any laptop owner, the drive can be purchased and installed by you, it's really not that hard to do with proper instructions.

Please keep us updated.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

device manager shows driver error.

Drivers can become corrupted, with the Device Manager showing a driver error it looks like this may be the case here. In the Device Manager uninstall the driver for this drive, restart your computer and a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

windows 7 64 bit my mistake
ran windows fox it, no cigar
unistalled drivers from device manager and restarted, no cigar

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

#5 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

worth mentioning. I uninstalled and re installed daemon tools and it started to load the drivers and then failed.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Try this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Try this.

deleted upper and lower filters in registry and drives are reading and working. thank you guys! happy computing.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Good to hear you have it working again.:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users