Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3d Printer To Churn Out Copies Of Itself

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:39 PM

A self-replicating 3D printer that spawns new, improved versions of itself is in development at the University of Bath in the UK.

The "self replicating rapid prototyper" or RepRap could vastly reduce the cost of 3D printers, paving the way for a future where broken objects and spare parts are simply "re-printed" at home. New and unique objects could also be created.

Article Link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7165

Personally thought it interesting,but was abit concerned with the substances, such as lead he was using..
Kinda made me think.... "Hey, nice apartment, Bob! But why is everything lead-colored?"
"Well, didn't you check out my commercial 3D printer? I downloaded all my furnishings from Ikea last month. Just don't let your kids sit too long."

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

......wait, what?

Is that supposed to actually COPY a solid object? So, if i wanted to download some legos..... i could? That's...... odd....

Well, maybe we're one step closer to transporting humans across the internet :thumbsup:

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

Man that is just awsome. You could like download pc parts and make them yourself. Or even better BEER!!!! now you never have to get up :thumbsup:

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

sounds like a high tech Bridgeport machine.

PS: untill just now the only machine I knew of that could replicate its self was a Bridgeport Mill.

PPS: How does it work?? What kinda printer are we talking about?? Im still lucky if I dont run out of ink much less plastic and metal to make parts for my printer

Posted Image

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

Wow...that sounds like one of those replicators on Star Trek!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users