Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security Suite Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'm rebuilding my computer and I'm wanting to get some advice on the best FREE internet security suite recommendations. I'm looking for a comprehensive package including AV and FW that will work best on my OS (Windows 7 64-bit).

Here are the ones I'm thinking about:
1. Norton Security Suite - I can get this one for free since I use Xfinity, and it has built in AV and FW.
2. Comodo - I've heard good things about it and it is a comprehensive package with both AV and FW.
3. Avira - Sounds like the upgrades made in 2012 made this product a good contender. I know for sure it has a AV, but not sure about a FW.
4. Avast - I've used Avast in the past, but without a FW I would need to look elsewhere to get that or use the Microsoft product.
5. Microsoft - Who best to protect the OS than the company themselves.

I know after reading the stickies there is not a one size fit all solution, but I want to get the best product I can without paying for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hello -
I can only list my systems and the Free options that I currently use - There may be a "flutter" of ideas, but You must be the one to select.

<< 5. Microsoft - Who best to protect the OS than the company themselves. >> Not the best way to put it, but it is my option -
Windows7 Firewall is much better than earlier versions, and M.S.E. is set to update and scan every day, as well as actively running in the background.

You can now add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free as Manual daily malware scanners. Always Update them prior to a scan.

Never add or use Registry Cleaners or programs that claim to Speed up to your operating system, since 99% are scams / snake-oil.

Keep it simple and you will generally be happy with your system - Save special tools for experts only

Again, my personal Free views only

Thank You -

#3 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't recommend a third party firewall if you're using Windows 7. The one now built into Windows is good enough for the large majority of people, so unless you want to control every aspect of your network traffic, it should suffice.

Comodo will slow down your computer more than the other suites. Avast nor Avira have firewalls in their free versions. I'd recommend just going with the free version of Avast or Avira, or just using Microsoft Security Essentials.

#4 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well I decided to give Comodo Internet Security a try. I figure it cannot be worse than Norton. I thought long and hard about going with Microsoft products but in the end I just thought using a different product would be better.

#5 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Well my test with Comodo lasted a total of about a hour. I tried to download some drivers for my printer and it had me downloading at 40kb/s. I stopped the download and instead tried to load Adobe Flash, and Comodo prevented that install as well with no warning. I tried to download the drivers again and this time I was able to get 1mb/sec (still not great). I uninstalled Comodo and was able to instll Adobe Flash without a problem so I can only think the issue was Comodo. The interface was very nice though.

So I ended up going with MSE as some of you recommended.

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Well my test with Comodo lasted a total of about a hour. I tried to download some drivers for my printer and it had me downloading at 40kb/s. I stopped the download and instead tried to load Adobe Flash, and Comodo prevented that install as well with no warning. I tried to download the drivers again and this time I was able to get 1mb/sec (still not great). I uninstalled Comodo and was able to instll Adobe Flash without a problem so I can only think the issue was Comodo. The interface was very nice though.

So I ended up going with MSE as some of you recommended.

Comodo's Defense+ feature will block some software from installing, but it should have prompted you.

#7 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi

I use commodo firewall and don't have any problems at all in downloading updates etc - perhaps it's the settings you had it on? It does need to learn your preferences which is quite annoying at first, but it should have prompted you.

Personally, I use Avast for an AV, and Commodo for a firewall and find it a pretty decent combo, it doesn't slow me down and so far (fingers crossed) has given good protection. As you're not using commodo now, did you enable the Windows 7 inbuilt firewall?

I would definitely recommend having a couple of on demand scanners to hand - Malwarebytes is very good, and I sometimes alternate with Superantispyware.

Lastly - make sure you have your programmes and patches up to date - these are a well known vector for attacks. Secunia on demand scanner is very good for this, as it will scan for vulnerabilities. I tend to use the online version (osi) as I've found the downloadable psi version really really slow, and I try to do it roughly monthly at least.

Hope this helps

Kal
Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users