Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cryptic Trojan Horse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 paul1944

paul1944

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hello, I have acquired Cryptic Trojan Horse Virus on my home computer according to AVG.
Can anyone give advice on how to remove this?
Thanks,
paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwarbe

Dwarbe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Have you tried to install and run Malware-bytes and/or Super Anti-Spyware? Both of these programs do a great job removing such infections. They are both available for download in free and paid versions. The freeware versions should to the trick. You may want to boot to safe mode to run your scans.

#3 paul1944

paul1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I hope this is the correct way to reply to you Dwarbe.

I ran Malware; Kaspersy;AVG;Spybot; Microsoft Fixit; and a couple of other free downloads then got so desperate I bought PCHealth boost which claimed it targeted this particular virus. Our local PC repair technician came in and spent a couple of hours (small town in BC so not a lot of choices re. repair), he ran the programs in the safe mode.
So far the only program to even identify Cryptic on the computer is AVG which is unable to do anything with the files. In fact AVG scans and gives a clean bill of health and then sometimes when I open a new web page it informs me i have Cryptic but it can't remove the files.

Thanks for trying to help, I am going to download the other freeware you mentioned and see if that works. Fingers crossed :).

#4 Dwarbe

Dwarbe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

If you can uninstall any extra anti-virus programs. You should only have one AV program installed, and I would use AVG free 2013 or Microsoft Security Essentials also free. I use the following security suite for most of my home users:

Anti-Virus: AVG free or MSE
Anti-Spyware: Super-Anti-Spyware
Anti-Malware: Malware-bytes
Uninstaller: Revo-Uninstaller to ensure proper removal of toolbars and other undesirable programs

...and nothing else.

#5 paul1944

paul1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I tried the Super Anti-Spyware but it didn't find the virus....I ran it and quarantined what it found, re-started but no change in the problems.
Thanks for trying.

#6 Dwarbe

Dwarbe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Did you scan in safemode with no networking?

Also try to scan the drive as an external drive with another computer with the same software

Use combofix as a last resort, but have someone with you who understands how to use combofix

Edited by Dwarbe, 30 December 2012 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users