Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop p5qc/q9550 keeps freezing "randomly" in multiple OS

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dwelfusius

dwelfusius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

Okay, small situation sketch.
Ist I had a win 7 x64 which ran smooth for over a year (had x32 before that, and some linux variants)..Then I decided to upgrade my pc to win 8 (i had heard from fellow it'ers that the upgrade was much better than previous versions so i thought why not give it a go)..It was a disaster, my pc kept freezing on me sometimes even before i had one program open.If it went in sleep -> oh yeah freeze OR actually going to sleep but not being able to wake up.After some weeks in that hell, i did a clean install..Better,it seemed, but not much and not for long.After more cold rebooting my pc in a month than in the 2 or 3 years I've had it I decided to put win7 x64 back on..You can imagine my horror when I noticed that (although being WAAAY less severe) even my win7 started freezing on me.I even had my boot menu (3 times orso) and my post (1 or 2 times) freeze on me, so I'm suspecting maybe some HW issues.Often I had corrupted ntfs system after one of these agressive shutdowns,which were solved by autorepair next boot.

I ran chkdsk,hdd diag,memtest86..All came back clean.In windows i used advanced driver updater (because i was sick of doing it all manually) so ALL the drivers were up to date, even sata controllers,chipset,...

Also, I don't know if it matters but when freezing my pointer dissappears very often (90% of the time).

I attached the win8dump files and evt logs in the win7 file, the more info the better no? (Yes writing this from a win7 os cause it freezes less)

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.
Katrien

(ps:sorry for any faults, english is not my first language)

edit: just had a crash (not a freeze) included dump in file

events and minidums etc..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hello Dwelfusius and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I have downloaded your zip file and I am currently going through your logs and viewing your CPU-Z images.

From what I have already seen, your file system has been a victim of file corruption, obviously caused by illegal shut downs. I see that you have mentioned that happening in your description above this reply.

I am replying to you now just to let you know someone is looking at and working on your current situation.

I'll post a reply once I have made a decision (based on your logs) as to what would be the best course of action you should take.

Kind regards...

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hello Dwelfusius I looked over your dump files, images from CPU-Z and your various system related text files.

Those files for the most part did not show a lot of issues, although your video driver caused one fault under the Windows 7 install.

All your logs cover everything with the exception of heat related issues.

I also noticed you at one point you had multiple drives set up, although I am not clear what your current situation is.

I am providing links to two programs that you can use to monitor your current system temperatures, it is your choice, you can try using both of them and compare the results.

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Please post back the results and from which program those results were taken from.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Since basically the only CRASH i had was due to my nvidia driver/card i decided to go out on a limb and use the old 8600gt from my bf instead of my gts250, and i have not had any crash since..but obviously it's too soon to judge, so I'm going to try it for a few days.Is this behavior something that can be caused by a bad video card (really card, not driver since driver has worked on win7 x64 a long time)?

I will keep you posted.

Oh yes PSU is a zalmann zm850-hp
Output
+3.3V@25A, +5V@30A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@28A, +12V4@28A, +12V5@18A, +12V6@18A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.5A

Attached Files

• Attached File  temp.png   48.16KB   2 downloads

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Let me know how that 8600GT video card works out, I prefer to see if your issues have been resolved before I start asking you to try things that may not be needed.

I'll keep an eye on this topic.

Happy New Year.

Bruce.

#6 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

first of all a happy NY :) sorry about the tardy response, there was some partying happening.

I had no crash/freeze in 4 days since i removed the card.I actually am typing this from my win 8.Used both of them no issues, even can wake from sleep each time.BUT the card is in someone elses pc and appears to be functioning fine..So what do i do now?Only thing i can think of are very localized overheating (so i plan to clean the graphics card from top to bottom) ,maybe got a bit loose in the pcix slot (is that even possible), or a weird/faulty driver (which seems inplausible since i had it in two diff. os, one of which where it has worked perfectly in 1yr)..Or maybe pcix issue?But then this card would cause issues too no.Or psu (this one runs on sole pcix power so no extra feed)..Going to borrow the 540 from my m8, see what that does(that one takes two feeds).

Anything else you think i can try?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Not for the moment, it appears you are not having any issues at the moment.

Cleaning out your computer for dust issues sounds like an excellent idea.

Please execute precautions to prevent possible component damage caused by Static electrical discharge.

Anytime you make adjustments or changes to the components located inside of your computer case, please make attempts to discharge the static electricity from yourself first.

This can be done by placing your hand on the metal surface of your computer case for a few moments. Anytime you exit the area to perform other tasks, be sure to touch the computer case first before resuming any type of activity inside the case.

Failure to perform that procedure first can possibly damage your motherboard with a static electrical discharge powerful enough to destroy vital components needed by your computer to run correctly.

You can use a can of compressed air which is designed for cleaning out computer cases.

Avoid using prolonged bursts of air that may create frost on components, use short spurts only and direct the air outwards toward the exhaust vents in your computer tower.

Prevent any cooling fans from spinning by placing an object into the fan blades. A pencil will do well as such an object, DO NOT USE MENTAL OBJECTS! This helps prevent any possible bearing damage to the cooling fans.

Heat sinks on your processor and video cards should be blown out completely of any dust build up.

A few blasts of air using the provided plastic nozzle straw, in the PSU should be performed, blow outwards from inside the case, this way the dust will exit your case rather then being blown back inside.
Please be cautious in doing this, DO NOT use any metal objects to stop the cooling fan in your power supply from spinning!!! This can cause a severe electrical shock!! Use a wooden pencil ONLY to do this.

Please up date me on your progress.

Bruce.

#8 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

small update, now had the 550 gti running for week (borrowed from my friend)Also uses one extra power (just like my gts250) and also no issues (except that although being a better model it has more issues with large maps than mine :s).

I'm thinking that maybe something changed when I opened the case or so?I really am at a loss.Now going to put my hyperclean 250 in again, see what that gives :s I'm hoping it no longer causes issues :s

(oh yeah stress testing card on my friends pc came up all good)

Also cleaned out my case completely, there was some dust present but not to say a tremendous amount as I do it regularly.(and ofcourse i did ESD prevention :)

#9 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

mini update, right after i posted this, i had 2 freezes (typical)..

So atm i left same card in,(550) but used my other cable (6+2pin) to make sure it's not cable related.Keep you posted

#10 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Ok new update:

8600 back in the pc, still functioning as it should so now i am very seriously thinking bad thoughts about my psu :D

So i bought a new one "Corsair HX650".Should be an ok psu for my system right.
Will put that in when I get it (in a few days prolly) and then test with my 250 and keep you posted

#11 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

BUGGER

Ok so once again, same issue,on both os'es..So not psu related.Put the 8600 back in, all working fine again.I'm at a loss, is there something that can cause idk freezes when the output of the VC is too high (like in medium/high end cards) compared too lower end/older cards?..My best guess was the psu cuz that was the only difference connectionwise..Or drivers, but the card works fine in another system.. Can it be my mobo?If yes why doesn't it freeze when using the older card?

pff :(

#12 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

ok small add-on:

I have also tested with my bf's 560 and also, freezes, now back on the 8600 no issues

#13 kltsin

kltsin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

hi, I hope you know that the cards require install and definetly uninstall any software and drivers from the add remove programs option in control panel.
> uninstall software > shutdown > remove card > install card > reboot > install drivers

all gpu cards require software installs, the native windows can make them work without but...

Also is there any chance of a built in gpu causing issues?

Edited by kltsin, 02 February 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#14 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

hi, I hope you know that the cards require install and definetly uninstall any software and drivers from the add remove programs option in control panel.
> uninstall software > shutdown > remove card > install card > reboot > install drivers

all gpu cards require software installs, the native windows can make them work without but...

Also is there any chance of a built in gpu causing issues?

nope mobo has no gpu, was one of the criteria..And win8 does the uninstalling, installing itself..I have already tried is manually, even using driversweeper to be sure its not driver related, but i even had it with clean installs and different os'es so I'm almost positive its hw related

#15 dwelfusius

dwelfusius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users