Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP has a blue screen only.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

Hi there. I have a strange problem with Windows Media Player 11 in XP Pro. All it shows is a dark blue screen instead of video. Not the Blue Screen of Death. This is just inside the player itself. I tried reinstalling it, changing file associations... nothing. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Edited by Mr. Bitchen, 29 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Rather than chasing down which codecs u need try VLC to watch vids.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

#3 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I have both VLC and uPlayer... the thing is, WMP 11 is the player that comes up for internet movies. I don't know how to change the default player for opening .wmv, .avi and such online. Either way - the blue screen, which had been dogging me all of yesterday, has vanished and I can watch whatever I like. I don't know what happened, but I'll take it!

Thank you for reply and your time.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

:thumbup2:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

You can change the default player for any file...by going to explorer view...Tools/Folder Options/File Types tab.

Scroll down to whatever extension needs changing...double-click...push Change button and select the new program to open that file.

WMP is the default for most/all media files, but you can change that to any player you have installed. Most players also have an option in the menus for making it the default player for all music/video files.

Louis

#6 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yes, for local files. It doesn't have the same effect for viewing files online. Thanks, though! :thumbup2:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

<<Yes, for local files. It doesn't have the same effect for viewing files online.>>

Well...that doesn't make any sense to me...I've3 never found such to be true.

Windows is the control for all files, whether online or on the system's hard drives. If Windows picks a given program to open a given file...that applies to that file, regardless of location. A classic example occurs when viewing .pdf files online...if no .pdf reader is currently installed and set as the viewer...user will be prompted to select a program to open such file, regardless whether user saves the file to disk or views it online.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users