Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop crashing when CDs ejected; problem with Roxio DLA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

I searched the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for...
My Latitude D610 started crashing when I ejected a CD. It just came back from the fixit guy, who has supposedly removed "XP Defender". He created a new profile (XP Pro) & I was supposed to use the computer for a while to see if all the programs worked; then he'd transfer my files & delete the old "broken" profile.

Everything seems to work except, when I put a CD-RW or CD-R in. I can open it, look at the files, copy files from CD to computer (didn't try writing the other way cos I didn't know there was a problem). When I ejected the CD, I got a window saying "please wait while your media is updated". It was doing this before the virus; the window just sat there for a while before finally disappearing. Now though, after that message, I got a blue screen that says windows has been shut down to prevent further damage, & I had to use the power button to shut it off. On restart, "the system has recovered from a serious error" but everything seemed to work... till I put in another CD.

Problem appeared to be the CD driver or whatever... I had Roxio Easy CD Creator. I thought I could uninstall & then reinstall the program... uninstalled audio/copy/data modules; still had a problem... then discovered I could not reinstall because I don't have the driver disk (puter was a refurb). Uninstalled DLA. I see a few articles online that say DLA is incompatible with IE8. (WHY would this matter if you aren't running CDs at the same time as IE8 is open? I wasn't.) It appears DLA was replaced with something called "Roxio Burn" which of course is no longer free.

Anyway, now that I have uninstalled all the Roxio components, I can't write to CD. I can still open them, & it appears not to crash when I eject them, but I can't add anything to them.

Now what?? The CDs were written with UDF format at the time... is there a way to get back this function? I just want to be able to drag & drop files to copy. I'm not doing anything too fancy. Only occasionally make a music CD.

It has to go back to the repair guy anyway; can't reach him at the moment, but wondering if there is any way to fix this without having to pay him MORE $$$$ (or waste hours downloading utilities & getting in a worse mess...).
Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2013 - 12:23 PM.
Moved from XP to Audio & Video Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Just my opinion...but if you have paid for a service to be performed...and the service was not performed satisfactorily or resulted in new problems...your next step should be to return the system until it is delivered to you in normal operating fashion.

Once thoses problems are resolved...that would be the time to worry about normal Windows problems that may involve solftware corruption.

Louis

#3 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Can anyone recommend a good DLA-type program? Is Roxio Burn worth the $$ they're now charging? Will it be able to write to CDs previously written with Roxio DLA? *Is* there a program that will pick up with Roxio-DLA discs or do I have to start all over re-formatting CDs with whatever new program?
I just want to be able to drag-&-drop to copy files to CD. Doesn't work currently since I lost the Roxio module I had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users