Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Entering Safe mode using F8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 level2

level2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Greetings, I have an Dell Demention 2350, XP professional, 7 Gen GenuineIntel~1993 Mhz.

I want to inter Safe Mode, having read BC's tutorial re: If you have trouble intering Safe Mode don't force it. Is there a chance that it will inter SM easy, than cause the problem mentioned? Thankyou

Richard

Edited by level2, 28 December 2012 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

"Don't force it" refers to using the System Configuration Utility also known as msconfig. This has nothing to do with using F8 to boot into safe mode.

System Configuration Utility - You can use the System Configuration Utility, or MSCONFIG, found in Windows 98, ME, XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 to make Windows boot into Safe Mode on the next reboot. We will go into specific details in the sections below. Please note, that you should not force your computer to boot into Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility if you suspect you are infected with malware as the malware may corrupt keys required to boot into Safe Mode. You can read more about this here.

Did you click the link to read about the problems it can cause when using msconfig? In addition to not using it if malware is suspected, there have also been reports of a continous booting into safe mode by using this method even when malware was not suspected.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 December 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#3 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Yes, that's what I am refering to. Thanks for asking. What I want to know is: Can that be a problem,what you just discribed, when entering via F8. If not, I'll try it, I have some issues, having read and listened in on several threads, while working on these, I will be instructed to enter Safe Mode.

I will be going to the lower ranch later this afternoon, where we have only dial up, but will be back tomorrow. I am on line now just stoking the stove.

Edited by level2, 29 December 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

No it will not be a problem when using F8 because you are not making changes to Boot Options (which is done in msconfig).

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 December 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#5 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I went into Safe Mode, didn't see much. I have a file, I that is slowing down start up. MccTrayApp.exe

I believe it came with ATT, I'ed like to delete it or shut it down.

Edited by level2, 29 December 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I found references to mccitrayapp. If that is what you mean and left out the i you can read about it here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/McciTrayApp.exe-18139.html.

The article mentions Bellsouth but it could extend to AT&T.

If you don't want it to run at start up disable it.

If it is MccTrayApp.exe read this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/MccTrayApp.exe-20378.html

#7 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yes, I did leave the i out. It is McciTrayApp.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic