Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow computer, screen saver not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hello. Gunto suggested I post in this forum to see if anyone can help me solve this issue. She and I tried a bunch of scans and she doesn't think it's malware. Please see thread here: My link

My screen goes black after 5-10 minutes of being idle. sometimes when I return, and especially if it's been a long while (an hour or more), my computer runs slowly and/or I've lost my internet connection. I then restart and all is okay again. anyone know how to fix this? This is a netbook running Windows 7.

thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by tobyo, 28 December 2012 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

so am guessing I found my issue: my power options? I'm wondering if my options (screen print in my attachment) were set this way since the beginning? you know, as a default? I'm guessing this is why my screen saver does not come on. so, which is better? use the power options and maybe change it to a longer interval than 10 or 15 minutes? or turn off power options and use screen saver? any opinions out there? guess I could play with it and see what happens.

thanks for any help.

(okay, it won't let me attach my screen shot....probably neither here nor there. suffice it to say that my power options are set to "turn off the display" at 10 minutes, which I think is what is happening; and to "sleep" at 15 minutes)

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

well, I am back. let's see, judging by my last message I was able to go two weeks without any issues. fixing the time that the screen saver comes on (well, that never actually comes on still, the screen just goes dark) helped a lot. However, today I'm having the same issues. and I neglected to mention that my volume icon disappears occasionally from my task bar (is that what it's called), the display on the lower right. It was gone earlier, then I ran the defragmenter again, rebooted and now it's gone again. so, rebooting again.

I would have thought after 220 views someone out there might have some idea what is going on with this machine. anyone? Bueller? I'd be so grateful for any help. while it's not horrible, it does bug me that I have to go through these steps every two weeks.

thanks for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users