Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen goes blank(white) when power supply is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Routweiller

Routweiller

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop. It is about 3 years old. Recently, the screen started going blank (usually white but occasionally light blue(not BSOD). This began happening when it reaches a full charge. Then it started happening a few minutes after plugging in the PS. Now it happens sometimes within seconds of plugging it in. When it does this, I have nothing, no cntrl alt del, nothing. The only thing that works when it does this is to hold the power button till it shuts down and then restart it. Everything works fine when I run it on battery power. To keep this from happening, I have to close the laptop, plug it in, let it charge for an hour or so, unplug it(if I don't unplug it and it reaches full charge, when I open it back up the screen is white, The bottom is warm and I have to shut down, unplug and restart)If I unplug it first, when I open it, everything is fine. I have checked the PS with a multimeter and it seems fine. 19.5 volts and correct polarity just as it is supposed to be. I have searched quite a bit for answers as to why it's doing this but haven't found any. Didn't know if this could be a problem with the jack the PS plugs in to, a BIOS problem? Or a hardware issue? It has been doing this for a couple of months all together but I'm really wanting to fix this issue if I can. Any help or suggestions you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi, You said

Didn't know if this could be a problem with the jack the PS plugs in to, a BIOS problem? Or a hardware issue?

1. I would eliminate the DC in jack, if it wasn't working you wouldn't charge or you would see the light showing AC power is hooked up going on and off as the plug moved. Not a White or Blue screen.

2. The Bios will not affect the display suddenly after it has been working fine up until recently.

It could be a hardware issue, it depends on the tests I'm suggesting for you to do.

When you turn on the Laptop and the Toshiba Logo appears press the F2 key to go into the BIOS, Make no changes! Try doing the same thing that causes the problem and see if it happens while in the BIOS setup screen. At this point there is no windows or drivers loaded so this is to test the hardware only. If it happens here then it is hardware.

If it only happens in Windows then it could be software, No Guarantee. Do not forget to back any important files, just in case. First try booting in safe mode.

When the Toshiba Logo appears try pressing the F8 key repeatedly until the Windows Advanced Options Menu comes up,then choose safe mode with networking. That should get you into windows with minimal drivers loaded and still allow Internet access.

Good Luck
Roger

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Routweiller

Routweiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

OK Roger,
I booted it up using f2 to the BIOS screen, plugged in the PS, and waited about 10 minutes, nothing happened. I then rebooted into safe mode with it plugged in and waited another 10 minutes or more. Nothing happened here either. 10 minutes is usually enough time for it to go to the blank screen, restart,blank screen,restart several times. Normally, it happens in seconds to maybe a minute or two max. I then restarted it normally and it went to the blank screen in about a minute or less. It was the light blue screen this time. Any more tests to narrow it down more? Thanks, Jeff

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

If You had / have a spare drive I would try a clean load of windows and see what happens. There is one more possibility that it could be hardware rather than software. Sitting in the Bios or safe mode is a lower resolution than normal mode. Not a high chance but a chance. For example with the defective Nvidia video chips one symptom was they video driver would crash, but with no driver loaded the display would work in VGA mode. I don't think you have one of those however.

What you could do is go to the Toshiba site in safe mode with networking and download the latest video driver. then uninstall the video driver from the Programs and Features applet in the Control panel. (Vista or Windows 7), Then Reboot. Hopefully it will want to install a driver, leave it sitting there in normal mode and see what happens. If after testing all is well, try installing the New video driver and test.

I presume you did a virus scan to?

However I still have a feeling it is a motherboard problem that is feeding to much voltage to the screen and causing the LCD to act up or a bad LCD panel.
In the past I would have popped in a New LCD to test with since that wouldn't have cost me anything, Since I have seen bad LCD panels go white. Now I'd have to buy one for testing.

I wish I could say with certitude it is this or that. All we can do is eliminate the free of cost problems first. When I worked for the Toshiba warranty repair center and was hands on it was easy to eliminate things, Now not so easy.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Routweiller

Routweiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yes, I have scanned for viruses with a few different programs, nothing found. Do I have to be in safe mode when I go to the Toshiba site? When this first began, I initially thought it acted like a voltage spike was doing this. That's why I checked the PS to be sure it wasn't putting out too much power. If the Motherboard can do that, it is probably the culprit. I know nothing about how they work or what they do. I have found people having problems with the video card while researching this. something about a "solder bump"? Thanks again, Jeff

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

The only reason I suggested safe mode with networking was to be sure you could stay up and running.

The Toshiba site is https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp
choose the download tab, Don't bother creating a login, that is for the forums. You can just click the Download and select your model and then your Windows and download the newest video driver.

While there also select the Support Bulletins tab and see if there is anything there that might apply.

You could also look at your current BIOS version and then the latest available for download and see if any of the fixes apply. Just be careful as a bad BIOflash can kill the motherboard.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Routweiller

Routweiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I went to Toshiba's site and downloaded and installed the display driver. No change, it still goes blank when I plug it in. That's what's boggling me, It runs fine for 2-3 hours under battery power(life of bat). When the bat gets low, I close it up, plug it in, let it charge for an hour or two,(if I don't unplug it and it reaches full charge it will go blank) I then have to unplug the PS before opening it back up(if I open it first, it goes blank within seconds) Then I can run it for another couple hours(till bat gets low again)with no problems at all. This almost has to be somehow connected to the PS or DC jack where it plugs in doesn't it? I'm not sure what it looks like inside but is it possible that the jack is making the proper contact to charge but is maybe touching or shorting something else nearby? Thanks again and Happy New Year, Jeff

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Routweiller if it would help, I'll provide you with two links to two web sites that cover your laptop and ways to diagnose your laptop screen issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions on the information I linked you to below.

Web Site :step1:

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L305-L305D/remove-screen-replace-video-cable-1.htm

Web Site :step2:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/toshiba-satellite-l305d-stopped-showing-video-on-screen/

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 January 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I may be remembering it wrong but I believe on that laptop the DC-In jack is connected to the Motherboard through a 4 wire cable that plugs into a 4 pin connector.

Just checked and this link will show You what it looks like.

So you can eliminate that. That was done to help reduce bad connections from the DC-In Jack when it was soldered to the motherboard. Lenovo Thinkpads use a cable too.

Can you hook up an external monitor to the laptop and see if it goes white when the screen goes white too? You probably have a 15 pin VGA port. If the monitor goes white also then it is most likely the motherboard. If it keeps displaying the normal screen than I would suspect the LCD panel. That would probably be in the $75 US price neighborhood.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 lanesharon

lanesharon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

I am having this exact same problem.  I also have a Toshiba L305 series.   I tried a format and fresh install of windows.  Then I bought a DC jack, just to see if that was it.  Still same problem.

I can leave the jack plugged in if I am in Bios or Safe Mode, but if I install it while in live mode, screen goes white within a few seconds and everything is locked out, except being able to shut down with the power button.  Just plugged it into an external monitor, set it up so that both screens would display, and BOTH of them turned white when I plugged in the charger.  Does that mean it is totally software or setup related?

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Try an external monitor and see if that does anything
The LCD cable may have to be replaced

Edited by Roodo, 01 November 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#12 lanesharon

lanesharon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I did try an external monitor.  Same thing.  Then I uninstalled Graphics software and video driver, rebooted and it went to default VGA, rebooted and then plugged in charger, same thing.  Rebooted, installed Toshiba's display driver, rebooted, went into WinSat.exe command automatically, let it complete boot up, then shut down, restarted and plugged in adapter AFTER everything was loaded.  Screen brightened up considerably and eventually went white on the laptop and green on the external monitor. 

#13 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Considering that in this new case, an external monitor does exactly the same as the laptop monitor, that rules out any fault on the graphics hardware as it works OK on battery only.

My main suspicion now is the motherboard and the voltage regulating circuit on it. The circuit may have gone duff and is allowing far too much voltage to the rest of the computer.

I am afraid that can only be proved by replacement motherboard.

Without having the full service manual, I cannot tell you much more, other than some, certainly not all, laptops do have the power management and voltage controls on a separate replaceable and small board or card, however I don't know if that is the case with your laptop.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#14 lanesharon

lanesharon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

I think I am going to try another battery and just keep one as a backup, if I need to run the laptop longer.  When it totally dies, I have an old Thinkpad T42 running Linux with me.

Is it possible that the charger itself is going and sending too much juice to the MB when running. 

Edited by lanesharon, 01 November 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

You do not need to buy a battery to test yet. What happens if You take out the battery and run on the AC Adapter only.

As Long as You can run on the battery and it takes a charge and does not get Hot the chances are it is OK.

Not holding a charge is a sign of a worn out battery, Getting HOT is a sign of a defective battery. At that point it should be removed from the laptop and put somewhere fireproof as there is a chance of fire.

Are You sure that is the right AC Adapter? As I remember it Toshiba is a little strange in that some AC Adapters are 15 volt and others are 19 volt. Using the wrong one can cause a problem. Can You measure the output voltage to verify it is OK?

If I had known You were going to change the DC-In Jack I would have advised against that step to save Your money. As long as the Laptop detects the AC adapter when it is inserted the Jack is OK. The only time to replace it is if nothing happens or the connection is intermittent.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 November 2013 - 02:47 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users