Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Power issue when CPU installed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dakotag

dakotag

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 200 that died. I was told it was the motherboard so I replaced. No dice. Discovered issue with PSU. Replaced. Got power to the machine but still wouldn't turn on. Had a flashing yellow light on power button. I disconnected all devices and checked power each time I attached a device. I ended up discovering that only when I added the CPU chip did it fail. So I replaced CPU (Pentium D 845). I still have the same issue. I've tried both motherboards with same result. When I put in the CPU the power fails. Without it the machine powers on. What could it be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi, Look at this page for the Dell Diagnostics for your model.

Blinking amber

The power supply is operating outside of its normal range.

Check the diagnostic lights to see if the specific problem is identified. Also, see "Power Problems" in your computer Owner's Manual.

To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four lights labeled "1," "2," "3," and "4" on the front panel. When the computer starts normally, the lights flash. After the computer starts, all four lights display solid green. If the computer malfunctions, the color and sequence of the lights identify the problem.

If you use the link above and report what the 4 lights configuration is showing then there will be more helpful information for diagnosing the problem.

Owners manual Here
Service manual Here

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 December 2012 - 01:16 PM.
Clarity and Additional Information

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users