Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP boot problem after Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Jackhammers

John Jackhammers

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP, SP3. After a recent (3-4 weeks) automatic Windows Update, the computer restarted itself overnight (normal restart after updates) and it would not boot into the login screen again. It would loop itself into attempting to go into safe mode (or normal mode, depending which option you select). If safe mode is selected, it would freeze at loading a driver named agpCPQ.sys and restart itself. At some point after restarting itself again and again, it would run chkdsk by itself in which it reports the volume is dirty and starts checking the disk, but the situation doesn't resolve after chkdsk runs.

Normally, I'd use the Recovery Console, but it would not detect the Windows installation. It would only detect Windows after I've switched the SATA operation in BIOS from AHCI to ATA. However, even if the Recovery Console detects the Windows installation, the blue screen error

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, STOP: 0x0000000A (0xF000E987, 0x00000002,0x00000001,0x8081FFFA)

pops up after I select the installation or tries to detect one. I've tried selecting both the first and second options in the Recovery Console, with the same result. Sometimes, I would also get a similar error

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000018, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0x8051C7EA)

but this would dump physical memory to disk and restart.

I've been able to boot to access the drive and its files using a linux installation on USB, but I cannot access the files that are encrypted using Windows' EFS. Despite the errors, I do not think it's hardware related, but possibly a corrupt driver of some sort after Windows Updates were installed. I've run both the Hard Drive Diagnostics and the tests in the Utility Partition with no problems. They indicate the hard drive passes the tests. I do not wish to do a clean install of the system because some important data is on the drive.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Which Linux system (and what version) do you already have on your bootable USB device?
  • We may be able to use that one. Otherwise I may get you to use a different one to investigate the problem.
When you attempt to load Windows normally and it BSODs with the STOP 0xA error, is there a particular file displayed in the "Technical Information" section, such as in the example image below (ati3diag.dll)?

Posted Image

If a file name is shown in your error message, please report what you see.

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 December 2012 - 03:00 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 John Jackhammers

John Jackhammers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for the reply!

On the USB flash drive, I'm booting to Linux Puppy 5.2.8. When the desktop is loaded, the drive is mounted and appears on the desktop as an icon. The majority of files can be accessed, but specific folders which I've encrypted cannot. I can try to boot other linux distros too if needed.

Using normal and original default settings (AHCI), I will get the second BSOD described and it will dump. No other file information is provided on the BSOD. I've attached what I see in the two versions of BSOD I've encountered:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

Thank you for that information.

Please boot with Puppy and do the following ...

Open the partition with the Windows system on it (what would be C:\ drive in Windows) and view the contents:
  • Navigate to C:\Windows <<< folder
  • Inside the Windows folder locate the boot log, a text file named ntbtlog.txt.
    I want to get a look at that file.
Again, inside the Windows folder:
  • Locate the file named memory.dmp
    C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    Note: The memory.dmp file will be quite large, and hopefully I will not need you to provide this file for me.
  • Report the date that the file was created/modified.
Inside the Windows folder, you will likely find a folder named Minidump:
  • C:\Windows\Minidump <<< folder
  • Inside the Minidump folder, you will find the minidump files (crash dumps).
  • What dates are on the most recent files?
  • Do you see recent minidump files in there?
  • If so, I would like to get hold of those files.
[/list]For your next post:

:step1: Please zip up the file ntbtlog.txt and attach the zipped file to a reply.

:step2: Please zip up a few (3 or 4 should do) of the most recent minidump files and attach the zipped file to a reply.

:step3: Report the date of the file memory.dmp

Note: The BC forums have a limit on the total size of attachments you are allowed (512kb), and restriction on the type of files that may be attached.
  • Files with a .txt extension, or a .zip extension can be attached, but most other file types may NOT be attached.
  • Files compressed with a .rar extension can not be attached.
Files can be compressed in zip format using Puppy if you wish to do it that way.
  • Let me know if you need instruction.
  • Otherwise, transfer the files to a working Windows system, zip there and attach the zipped files to a post that way.

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 December 2012 - 05:57 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 John Jackhammers

John Jackhammers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

This sounds very strange, but I can't find ntbtlog.txt or memory.dmp. They aren't in the WINDOWS directory.

I am able to navigate to the WINDOWS folder though. The Minidump folder exists but there are no files in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users