Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop monitor problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deepthinker

deepthinker

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

I have a Toshiba Satelite, A305-s6825 laptop. I'm having monitor problems. These problems occur when I'm in windows and also sometimes when loading up or at any given time. The screen sometimes will turn gray. Sometimes it will just have horizontal lines. If I touch the side of the monitor is usually clears right up. Is there something I can clean if I take monitor apart or is this a sign that monitor is going out. I don't have any desktop monitor to connect to for testing video card/drivers. I have another laptop if it's possible to connect to that but I don't how. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Do laptops have video cards? I don't see anything in the documenation. Here's some info about my laptop:
15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128MB-358MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
does this tell you anything? since I can touch or move the monitor to make it clear up, it seems like the problem is physical, such as wiring or ocntacts, etc.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Your laptop has a integrated graphics card, this is a chip on the motherboard, not a dedicated card.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Does anyone have advice or any experience with it?

#5 thehandyman77

thehandyman77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

My almost 3 yr old  L555 screen just wouldn't light up...no warnings whatsoever.  Staples tech said fix was $365 so bought a Lenovo for 150 more. My Toshiba always seemed to run hot so figured video chip was cooked. 

#6 Camacho

Camacho

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Please change your graphic card chip. A dim screen can be caused by three things;

The LCD inverter which runs the LCD backlighting

The CCFL backlighting fluro tube in the LCD panel

The motherboard supplying signal & voltage to the inverter.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Please change your graphic card chip.

From past experience I can tell you that Intel isn't going to sell you this chip, you would have to replace the motherboard in order to replace the graphics. 

Even if you could get your hands on one, you would need advanced soldering skills and a powered vacuum solder sucker to do this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Does anyone have advice or any experience with it?

The easiest way to determine if this problem is with the graphics processor or the video display screen would be to take your computer to a friend who has a desktop computer and plug your laptop into their monitor.

#9 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

The easiest way to determine if this problem is with the graphics processor or the video display screen would be to take your computer to a friend who has a desktop computer and plug your laptop into their monitor.

Agreed.  If you still see failures, you can be sure it is the LCD...in which case, maybe you have a loose wire somewhere...but more likely, the LCD would need ot be replaced.  Option 1- buy a cheap desktop monitor for a hundred bucks or so and turn your laptop into a desktop.  Option 2- well, the handyman77's estimate is pretty typical.  Might be better to get a new laptop and transfer files.  If, on the otherhand, it is a motherboard component, such as the GPU, and the system is out of warranty...the cost of replacing the motherboard combined with the time and cost of  labor to dismantle, reassemble, and test the unit makes me think that unless you just love this laptop, you're buying a new laptop, anyway.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users