Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing XP on new laptop, no drivers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andaroo

Andaroo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

My Dad wanted a new laptop for his office to replace his old PC because it blew. He wanted to re-install XP on it and run his old programs, which I was told worked better with a decent GPU. I did some searching and picked a laptop with a decent graphics card and a small SSD for write-caching (ASUS S56CM), thinking it would work well. The problem was I completely forgot about Windows XP compatibility.

Here's where the nightmare started. The laptop came with Windows 8 pre-installed, and the drive was formatted in a way (GPT) where installing XP wouldn't be possible without completely reformatting it. I was deliberating wiping everything and installing XP from scratch, when I realized that that there may be problems with finding the proper XP drivers. I did a few quick searches and realized there weren't any XP drivers on the ASUS website, and the GPU (GT 635M) wasn't supported by XP either.

I tried to run a virtual XP computer through VirtualBox but my dad's program was running kind of sluggishly with tons of lag because of the slow read/write speeds of the virtual comp. Furthermore, virtualbox seems to be completely unable to utilize the built-in GPU. The laptop has 2GB of VRAM, but virtualbox could only emulate 256MB.

And, of course, when I was just about to give up and return the laptop, I realized that the store where I bought it from charges a 15% restocking fee, meaning I would have to pay an extra $100 to return it.

I need some advice, should I:

A) Return the laptop, lose $100, and attempt to find another new laptop that is compatible with XP.

B ) Reformat everything, making the laptop un-returnable because it would mean deleting Windows 8, and install XP even though I'm lacking the right drivers, or

C) Suck it up and continue using VirtualBox, because finding a new laptop that is compatible with XP is pretty much impossible nowadays?

Also I'd like to add that time is a factor because my dad needs to start working again in a few days.

Edited by Andaroo, 28 December 2012 - 12:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaximRecoil

MaximRecoil

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

I need some advice, should I:

A) Return the laptop, lose $100, and attempt to find another new laptop that is compatible with XP.

B ) Reformat everything, making the laptop un-returnable because it would mean deleting Windows 8, and install XP even though I'm lacking the right drivers, or

C) Suck it up and continue using VirtualBox, because finding a new laptop that is compatible with XP is pretty much impossible nowadays?

Also I'd like to add that time is a factor because my dad needs to start working again in a few days.

I would first choose option B, minus the reformatting everything part. If you don't have a spare hard drive you can put in the laptop, use a USB drive (e.g. a "thumb drive") (the laptop needs to support booting to a USB drive, and there are some files you need to insert into your XP install ISO in order for it to work), and then look for drivers to try with it. Probably the only one you'll have trouble with is the GPU, but you could try the 32-bit Vista driver I suppose. It probably won't work, but at least you can find out without making the laptop unreturnable.

This is the thing that annoys me the most about off-the-shelf computers, i.e., drivers tend to be harder to find if you want to install an OS that didn't come on it.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

Aren't these programs compatible in Windows 7 atleast? Or a Windows 7 Professional installed laptop would be able to run in XP mode. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8247-windows-xp-mode-install-setup.html

Tekken

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

You understand of course that the best solution is tell your dad to suck it up and get used to Windows 8. I don't think adapting is as big a deal as he thinks.

#5 Andaroo

Andaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Maxim, I'll try that out.

Jhayz, I was under the impression that XP Mode on win 7 was a virtual emulation just like Virtualbox, so I didn't expect performance to be any better. Am I wrong?

Also, my dad can't use win 8 because the program can only run on XP. It's some kind of industrial design program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users