Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent boot up issues, very strange!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Donny6977

Donny6977

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Ok, so i noticed a few weeks ago the computer downstairs would not boot up (hardly use it, but important data on it), didn't worry about it because i figured it would be a simple fix. However i been working on it for days now with no fix.

I have 3 hard drives in this machine, 2 IDE 80gb and one 750gb SATA drive. One of the 80gb drives runs windows 7 while the other has windows 8 installed. My 750gb has windows 7 installed.

When i unplug the 750 gb hard drive , the other 2 work perfect, no problems, but when it is pluged in, i cant load ANY operating system from any of the hard drives. So i can't even boot up either of my 80gb hard drives so i can access my files on the 750gb hard drive. This all holds true with any of my bootable usb sticks. they work fine when the 750gb hd is unpluged, but as soon as i plug it in my usb drives do not boot up. So obviously their is a problem with the 750gb hd.

When i try to load a operating system WITH the 750gb hd pluged in, the operating systems start to load and get hung up (locked up). If i ONLY have the 750gb drive hooked up, and insert my win7 recovery disc , it loads the files then starts the boot up process and again gets hung up. I cant even install a clean install of win7 if i wanted too.

Any suggestions? i really need the data on the 750gb drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

i really need the data on the 750gb drive

Let's see what we can do with a LIVE Linux CD or flashdrive.
  • I'm curious: What do you have on "my bootable usb sticks"?
On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Connect the problematic hard drive and boot the computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
  • In the window that opens, you will see listed the partitions of the hard drives (sda1,2 etc: sdb1,2 etc: sdc1, 2 etc).
  • Locate the partition from which you wish to copy files.
  • Copy your files to another device (flashdrive, internal or external hard drive).
    Let me know of any problem you encounter and the detail of any error messages that you see.
[/list]

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 December 2012 - 05:33 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Donny6977

Donny6977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thank you for your response, on my bootable usb's i have a few tools such as avg, kaspersky antivirus, along with other tools which i dont know off hand. I recently made these bootable usbs to help me with this issue, but neither of them would even boot (i selected each usb from the bootscreen {F11}). I will try the program you mentioned when i get home. Hope it works.. If it does not work however, do u think a sata to usb adapter would work to get my files? using my laptop? Thanks again for your response.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

If your machine is compatible with PartedMagic, it will boot successfully.

I expect you will have a problem when you try to mount the drives (view the contents) on the problematic hard drive, but we can work on that.
  • Let me know in detail the errors that you see.
You asked: "... do u think a sata to usb adapter would work to get my files?"
It's usually best to connect a problematic hard drive internally directly to the motherboard rather than attempt to access it connected via USB.
  • You have a much better chance to recover your files and determine the condition of the hard drive using a bootable Linux system.
Please also do the following so that we can get some information about the condition of the hard drive ...

• Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Donny6977

Donny6977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

AustrAlan , so far so good, was successful in booting PartedMagic , in the process now of transfering files to usb. However, its a little confusing. So sda1 is my messed up HD, sdb1 is one of my 80gb drives, and sdg1 is me usb stick.. so for the bulk of the data is going on the usb drive, but when i try to transfer files to the 80gb HD (sdb1) it starts copying and comes up with some errors after sever files being tranfered already, saying not enough space, but i would think there should be plenty (basically the 80gb is a clean install of win7) so their should be more than enough space. Anyways the important stuff seems to be on its way to my usb stick, over 10gig!. I really do appreciate your help, the important data is 10+ years of pictures of my nephews growing up which im storing for my sister and she woulda killed me if they were gone forever, since i believe their are no backups hah. So you are a life saver! I am going to run the tests of the HD when this is done and i will post the results when finish. Thanks again man!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Good! :thumbup2:

Confusing ???
Each hard drive (storage device) will be represented by one of sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sdf, sdg etc.
  • Each of the partitions on sda will be represented by sda1, sda2, sda3 etc.
  • Each of the partitions on sdb will be represented by sdb1, sdb2, sdb3 etc
    ... and so on.
Let me know if you are having any problems, and exactly what the problem is.
===============

The easiest way to go about copying data is to open two separate windows (using File Manager):
  • One window displays the folders/files that you intend to copy (the source).
  • The second window displays the location that you intend to save the folders/files (the destination).
Arrange (drag) the windows so that they are both visible (wholly or partially) on-screen at the same time.
  • Then, simply drag-and-drop folders/files from one window to the other.
    Note: Multiple folders/files can be selected to be copied at the same time.
  • Use the <Shift> to select multiple consecutive/adjacent items with the mouse.
  • Use the <Ctrl> key to select multiple separate items with the mouse.

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 December 2012 - 12:51 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users