Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Metro UI disappeared

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jyhshyong

jyhshyong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I got my Sony VAIO Duo 11 ultrabook yesterday, and started to learn and customize Windows 8, accidentally I modified some setting in the Boot manager, reboot the system and now the Metro UI does not display when I log on my account, I get a black screen and only one cmd window. What should I do to recover the system to normal?

I use command bcdedit to display the boot manager information:

Windows Boot Manager
----------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume3
path \EFI\Microsoft\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {1c6b3cd2-3a0e-11e2-a125-d22c6417cd71}
displayerorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 38

Windows Boot Loader
-----------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload-efi
description Windows 8
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoversequence {1c6b3cd2-3a0e-11e2-a125-d22c6417cd71}
recoverenabled Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {1c6b3cd2-3a0e-11e2-a125-d22c6417cd71}
nx OptIn
safeboot Minimal
bootmenupolicy Standard
safebootalternateshell Yes
sos Yes

Thanks for any suggestion and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi

Can you provide more details of what setting you modified in the bootmanager and how you did it? I have a similar laptop on my bench today and may be able to help.

James

Edited by James Litten, 28 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#3 jyhshyong

jyhshyong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Dear James,

Thanks for your reply. My problem is solved. It is still a mystery why I got into that situation. It seems nothing to do with the bootmanager, since it was still in some environment.
I could type in my password and enter my account, but I only got a black screen with a cmd window. I used command bcdedit in cmd window to list the boot manager settings, it seems OK.

The way to get out is use Ctrl-Alt-Delete key to invoke the task manager, and initiate a new explorer task, this brings back the familiar desktop environment, then I managed to get a
system refreshed and returned to its original status. My Vaio Duo 11 is back to live.

By the way, to refresh the system (a facility provided by Windows 8 system tool), the directory C:/Windows is created, and the old one is saved in C:/Windows.old. It is difficult to remove
the C:/Windows.old since there are may files in some directories have extremely long file names! In order to remove the Windows.old directory, I installed Cygwin and used Cygwin's rm
command to remove the directory.

Best regards

Jyh-Shyong

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for letting us know that it was resolved. I have seen Vaios get messed up so that they launch cmd.exe (command prompt) instead of explorer.exe when booting. The ones that I saw do this were using Windows Vista (I think) but maybe that happened to you in Windows 8.

It's a registry setting and I've never seen a satisfactory explanation of why it happens.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users