Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build wont start with ram installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 556&45

556&45

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hello,
(long time reader first time poster, har har)

Okay built my buddy a new PC last night, Got it all together plugged it in computer would not boot just constant power cycling. No bios, not on long enough to read LED erros, no beeps...
So I started pulling hardware out piece by piece, it started when I had all the RAM removed, tried 1 stick no luck, tried different ram no luck.

Specs:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W

Everything else is unplugged except for fans.

I've been beating my head against my desk trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

What exactly do you mean constant power cycling?

I'd start with the very basics. Use 1 Ram stick, cpu w/ fan connected and use the onboard video.

What kind of case are you using? Steal? Aluminum? Plastic? Make sure the motherboard isn't directly sitting on the case, this can cause it to not power on or seem like it's going to power on and shut down 2/3 seconds later (Happened to me once). Basically, make sure you use the screws that come with the case to mount the board, instead of just simply drilling in the board directly on to the case.

#3 556&45

556&45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

It starts fans kick on, a couple lights blink, shuts down, repeat its on for about 3-5 seconds.

Tried one stick of ram, and some other ddr3 i had. no luck

Its a Coolermaster Storm Series, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245&Tpk=coolermaster%20trooper thats the one.

All that is plugged in is bare bones.

#4 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

OK. Ya, it sounds very similar to an issue I had not to long ago. Remove the RAM, the system should still power on and stay on, but of course nothing will be displayed. If it turns off again, you're looking at either CPU, Power Supply, bad board or as I mentioned before the board itself is making contact with something.

As I asked before, did you install the board on top of the brass "Standoff" screws and not directly on? Also, make sure the screws aren't screwed on to tightly, might also be pushing the board down.

#5 556&45

556&45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

yup sorry missed that part, yeah all OEM brass stuff was used, I'm going to take it all the way back down again and see what happens.

#6 556&45

556&45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

well, I took the Mobo out, rechecked all the connections, etc. plugged in the minimalist CPU fan, ram, HD, power supply. Still doing the same thing, I think were sending the mobo back. Unless someone has an awesome idea.

#7 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

i bought some new ram for my computer and the only way i could get it to boot up was to use an older stick of ram then flash the bios. once i did that i took the old ram out and put the new sticks in and it was finally able to boot... you could try that.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi, From the manual on page 2-15, Have you tried this procedure?

[attachment=133825:Mem OK.jpg]

ASUS motherboards can be picky about memory and I have seen the wrong memory cause what you are observing.

Hopefully this will help. Using memory that is an exact match for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendor List) will avoid these problems too.

Also for testing purposes that motherboard should have power and reset switches built in.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2012 - 10:08 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users