Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor Sticks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yakhunter

Yakhunter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

My cursor sticks after I let it sit for a few seconds.
Here's exactly what happens:
After letting my mouse sit idle for 20-30 seconds when I go to move my mouse again the cursor sticks for a short period of time. It's only between 1-5 seconds. If I keep my cursor moving regularly this problem doesn't occur.
This problem persists all the time even when running games like Battlefield 2 the same stickyness persists.

I'v scanned my computer with spybot s&d, Ad-Aware, and AVG.
I'm running XP Media Center Edition.

By the way. This is an optical mouse, and I have tried changing to a different mouse of same make and model with no success. I am using just a smooth grey mousepad. This is the same pad I have used since I bought the computer, so it isn't anything to do with the surface. I did also try using the mouse on other surfaces with no success.

I submitted this post to the spyware forum, and they said I have no spyware, or virus present, and pointed me to this forum.

Can someone help me fix this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hello.

alt+ctrl+del will bring up the Task Manager. Click on the Performance tab. Look under Physical Memory, tell us the numbers under Total, Available, and System Cache.

You mention it is an optical mouse, is it a wireless mouse? If so, try a wired mouse.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 26 March 2006 - 08:30 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:54 PM

If it is a wireless mouse, try changing the batteries.

If it is plugged into a USB port, try using either the PS2 port if possible or a different USB port or vice versa.

Look in your device manager and see if there are any devices that have a yellow or red exclamation or question mark.

If so, delete them, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall them using Windows Update.

See what size your page file (swap file) is and that it is set to be at least 1 1/2 times the amount of RAM you have installed on the top end.

If you don't have at least 512 megs of RAM make the size a little larger as you are using an intensive ap.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 March 2006 - 09:01 PM.

#4 Yakhunter

Yakhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

Total: 1964520
Available: 1281500
System Cache: 1322288

No it is not a wireless mouse.

#5 Yakhunter

Yakhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

Also for that second post.
My pagefile size was at 2047MB
I currently have 2GB of RAM on my system, so I followed window's recommended size, and upped it to 2877 MB. I'm going to see if that helps. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

RAM isn't the problem.

Are you using the Microsoft driver for the mouse or do you have a different driver installed?

#7 Yakhunter

Yakhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:49 AM

Yes, it is the Microsoft driver. I tried updating the driver, but it said there was no better driver to be found.
One interesting thing. Looking at the driver. There are two listed. It looks as though they are identical. Don't know why it has two, and I don't know if that info helps at all. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Yakhunter, 27 March 2006 - 01:21 AM.

#8 SuperSam

SuperSam

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

Keep the Task Manager open....with the "Processes" window active. Expand the entire window so you see all running processes. Now, keep a watch and note any changes in the running processes when the mouse sticks. Disable all startup items thru MSCONFIG. It'll make the work easier.

Sam.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

Do not disable all startups or you will have disabled some that are essential Windows processes, your firewall or your anti-virus ap.

I have two drivers listed in the device manager too, but they are not the same.

Were there any red or yellow marks in the device manager either in the USB tree or in the mouse section?

IS the mouse connected by USB or PS2 and if it is USB is it a USB2 port it is connected to?

#10 Yakhunter

Yakhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

Wouldn't you know it. I plugged it into another USB port, and it worked fine.
I feel really dumb now.
Anyway, It is only a 2 mo old system, I really doubt any of those ports run USB 1.2, how can I check what version they operate on?
By the way Thank you for your time, and help.

Edited by Yakhunter, 28 March 2006 - 12:25 PM.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Look at the USB controllers in the device manager and see if they say "enhanced".

Any that do not are not 2.0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users