Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ram Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 earweed

earweed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have my sister in laws Toshiba Satellite L645D. It was having problems. I checked and it said there was only 1 GB memory. Took home and checked and the topmost memory stick was up out of position. It was in angled up position like the latch had come loose and it was ready to be taken out, the spring seemed to be working still (the spring that pops it out when the lastches are opened) Took all precautions like removing battery and powercord and even used ground strap. removed stick and checked lower ram stick to make sure it was seated still and it appeared to be. reinserted top memory stick and noticed it is not seating properly, even watched video on how this memory goes in and followed instructions. It doesn't seem to have the spring in there right or something.
Is it possible that the spring in the seating mechanism (don't remember what it's called) is broke or out of position? Is it possible to fix or replace the seating mechanism if that's the problem. The computer will boot and work but only registers 1 GB Ram when it should be 4 GB.

Edited by earweed, 27 December 2012 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I can't find the manual for your system, so I'll have to ask. How many total sticks do you have and how many total slots are there? I've never encountered a problem with springs. Assuming that you are pushing in the memory in correctly, have you tried applying slight pressure? Do you have the same problem if you try using the other memory module on that slot?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I did a Google search for this model, what I found it the L645d - S4030. Can you confirm this?

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 earweed

earweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

2 sticks total. Yes it is L645d - S4030. Have tried with slight pressure. I've replaced quite a few RAM sticks before but just not one in a Toshiba that's why I watched a video to make sure I didn't mess it up. I tried it again and had to use more than normal pressure and it felt and looked right but still doesn't see the memory. Tried it switching sticks to other slots with no change. I just don't understand why it says 1 GB if it has 4 GB (2-2GB) either.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Please post the information on each module.

From what I found this computer comes with a 4GB module, so if there are two modules someone has added another.

Edited by dc3, 28 December 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 earweed

earweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

m471b5673fh0-cf8 which I checked and found to be 2GB
m471b2873fhs-ch8 which is 1 GB
and checking system info it says I have 1 GB (763 MB usable)
I've tried changing these from bottom to top (each in different slot) with no change.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Try installing only one module at a time to see if one of them isn't working.

#8 earweed

earweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

problem seems to be lower slot. with a stick just in lower slot I get beeps (checked Toshiba forum and beeps are for no memory) and wont boot (tried both sticks). Both sticks work in upper slot.
Trying to see if maybe something is in slot keeping it from seating right but looks like that slot may have something defective associated with it. The troubleshooting guide in that forum suggests that the motherboard is bad and either replace motherboard or just make do with 1 stick.

#9 earweed

earweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

After further checking this is actually L645D-S4040. The sticker is tore off and I went by what sis in law said it was. There was no foreign matter or anything in slot so looks like motherboard problem. Kind of strange that manual says if only one stick being used it should be bottom slot, maybe it has more to do with physical stability than the electronic circuits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users